Did you mean: 

Free Security Updates for Windows XP Until 2019

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Free Security Updates for Windows XP Until 2019

Came across this article, which may be of use to people still running XP
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/free-security-updates-windows-xp-until-2019-091416266.html#RErGh1X
Kind Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Free Security Updates for Windows XP Until 2019

sourced from http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-get-windows-xp-security-updates-until-april-2019/
I wonder just how good it is and it doesn't say whether you need to manually install the updates or whether the normal updater will work
A bit more information http://www.zdnet.com/registry-hack-enables-continued-updates-for-windows-xp-7000029851/
[UPDATE:] Late Monday we received a statement from a Microsoft spokesperson:
    We recently became aware of a hack that purportedly aims to provide security updates to Windows XP customers. The security updates that could be installed are intended for Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 customers and do not fully protect Windows XP customers. Windows XP customers also run a significant risk of functionality issues with their machines if they install these updates, as they are not tested against Windows XP. The best way for Windows XP customers to protect their systems is to upgrade to a more modern operating system, like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
I wonder just how good it is and it doesn't say whether you need to manually install the updates or whether the normal updater will work

It works "as normal".  Cool
I found a "correctly described" version (some have typos, but a techie used to registry work will sort that out) and updated an old XP laptop that I'm keeping "for posterity". Worked a treat.  Grin
I checked all the updates individually to see what they were by looking up the relevant KB- or MS- documentation first and was happy so just let them run.
avatastic
Grafter

I think the point that the MS rep was trying to make is "We will only be updating bugs found in XP POS" (which is a slimmed down version of XP from what I understand) "and any major bugs which arise in XP features that are not in XP POS will not be fixed / patched with this 'hack'"
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
HPsauce
Pro

I guess the outcome will depend on how Windows Update works in detail.
I guess Microsoft "could" engineer that to examine systems in rather more detail and block those that aren't "genuine". But I doubt they'll bother in case it blocks genuine users.
As they're POS and cashpoint machines and the like that could bring a whole heap of criticism down if it goes wrong.
From observing how it works it appears to bring in anything relevant to what you have installed including previous OS extensions such as .NET, but I was running "Microsoft Update" not Windows Update.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

So what or where is the "correctly described" version, HPsauce?
HPsauce
Pro

This one is correct as far as I can see.
Quote from: ejs
This was the first place I saw it: http://www.ghacks.net/2014/05/24/get-security-updates-windows-xp-april-2019/