cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Laptop for Life

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Free Laptop for Life

Fujitsu are offering a free laptop for life in their current promotion.  A new laptop every 3 years.  Details at:
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/lifebook4life/
8 REPLIES 8
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Free Laptop for Life

Had a quick look at what the catches would be, and the only one I can find so far is:
all you need to do is register your purchase of a LIFEBOOK and associated 3 years warranty upgrade

So I guess it depends on how much they charge for a 3 year extended warranty really.
If they've been taking lessons from the likes of Dixons/Currys/PC World et al, then it won't be cheap Roll_eyes
Presumably, you'd have to pay for a further 3 year extended warranty after having your 'free' upgrade 3 years later, for your one in 6 years time?
Might work out alright, but if they bolt you up for the warranty then it might not be a great deal.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I've seen a similar scheme in the US and it seems fair but as you say it depends on the cost of the warranty.  Also what happens if you want an upgrade?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

It doesn't seem to be too bad, about 40 quid judging by this info here.
But what would worry me is the 'like for like' bit, so are they saying you'd be stuck on the same spec forever?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Yes, I noticed that "like for like" bit..... Undecided
  wonder if they have made umpteen millions of them at todays spec, and think...
"ha ha"  "Here`s a devious little plan to get rid of them  "... Cheesy
( probably got sheds full of them somewhere on an uninhabited island)  Lips_are_sealed
mal0z
Grafter

sounds just like the "free" mobile phone deals, !!!.
When will people learn there is nothing free in life.
StickyMick
Grafter

As the saying goes, "There's no such thing as a free lunch."  Everything has a catch.
But some kind soul has posted all the Ts&Cs here: http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/12/02/fujitsu-offers-free.html
I do like No4 tho "4. A lifetime is determined by the original personal purchaser’s life,........." Does that mean Fujitsu Siemens are going to send out hit-men if they, the company suddenly find they can't supply the goods? Cheesy
And No6 puts a dampener on things a bit  Angry
Don't the rats smell awful today?
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

There is ALWAYS a catch of some sort. Thats why I still don't have a contract mobile and frankly I'd never touch one. Who really can afford £30-50 per month for a mobile phone? IF you saved that money for 2 months you could buy a decent phone outright! Ok you would get the text/minutes deals but then in reality.. how much does it actually cost to transmit a signal? - next to nothing.
Its like these free laptops with a wireless broadband package... 18/24 month contract at £30-40 per month... the dongle only costs £50 retail at some places (so thats about £30 wholesale - in other words the dongle is paid for in its first month). The other remaining payments in the contract are pretty much the cost of the laptop. It's basically a laptop on credit but without the scary credit language.
It doesn't matter how they try to dress these things up they will ALWAYS be making YOU pay for the freebies. You just have to be smart enough to recognize that you've been had before you are... had!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Despite many replies nobody seems to have come up with a major problem with this deal.  It will be interesting to see hw some of the people accepting the offer find it.
I agree with you about the free laptops with mobile deals.  I wouldn't touch them!