Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free ICS software?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Free ICS software?

Hi
Anyone know of any free internet connection sharing software?
Been trying to get a windows network bridge working in XP all day... it just says the network cable is unplugged all the time and i've wasted in excess of 8 hours.
Weirdly though i can still connect through that machine to the other one but the machine with th bridge cant see anything else.
I'd use nat32 but i am skint.
Thanks.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
2 REPLIES 2
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Free ICS software?

Quote from: Sprite
i can still connect through that machine to the other one but the machine with th bridge cant see anything else.

Did you tell that machine what DNS servers to use when trying to access web sites?  The Plusnet ones are 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10
Plusnet should give you a free wireless router, in which case you won't need to do internet connection sharing.
Many years ago I tried to get ICS to work between my new XP computer and my old one running Windows 98.  I spent a lot of time and failed.  I don't know whether it was a fundamental thing or just that at that time I didn't really understand the fundamentals of what I was trying to do; probably the latter.  Routers make it all a lot simpler. 
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Free ICS software?

I set the DNS servers to 192.168.0.1 - my ICS host which normally works a treat however the machine in question (ok wrong terminology using ICS on that) I was trying to get a windows bridge to bridge and lan and wifi card in AP mode so i could use it as an access point to the network.
I have a feeling zonealarm was to blame.. the latest version has some auto network detecting thing and I think it may of been blocking the virtual bridge miniport. I wiped the install again and reinstall winblows today and before putting any AV on or ZA I setup the wifi card and bridge. Bridge worked flawlessly (shame about the wifi card being a pain - RT2561 ralink based). The Ralink RT2500 chipset is a sinch to setup and use as an access point but they've become incredibly hard to come by.
Anyway I did find one bit of free software for bridging (and it was actually very good) called Ethernet Bridge. Instant bridging and you can set up a .bat file for Windows to run pre-logon so that it bridges the connections with no logon required. The only problem was that I couldn't control the internet connection through it like you can with a windows bridge and ICS.
Anyway wiped, started from fresh and now working (though i'm probably gonna take out the RT2561 card as its crap).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!