Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Fraud

If you were using Linux for your online bank transactions and lost money due to fraud would the bank still reimburse your loss ?
I Ask because the bank often includes in it's literature that you must take reasonable precautions such as having anti virus software installed etc, Linux does not need this so could the bank use that as a  get out clause ?
I Will also raise this question in the Linux Mint forums.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
17 REPLIES 17
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Fraud

I have been using Linux for over 6 years and using on-line banking all that time. I have NEVER had any issues. You are more likely to get a problem using an internet cafe than using Linux.
I think it would be a case of PROVE the fraud was done on my PC. Since malware/virii don't work in Linux I think they would have no leg to stand on.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Simplest to load something that says it checks viruses and not mention what type of OS is used.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Here's one opinion (with recomendations): http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/284124-myth-busting-is-linux-immune-to-viruses
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I believe that most Linux Virus scanners scan for M$ virii, not Linux ones.
E.g. in that post above:
That email-strapped virus could easily make its way to a Windows machine where it will happily begin its infectious life.

I have yet to come across a URL that has done any direct damage to a Linux machine.

The fact is that if you go via a link in an email then you only have yourself to blame. Adblock in FF will do some spoofing protection now as well.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Simplest to ... not mention what type of OS is used.

When you browse any website, the browser and OS are sent to the site in the http header.
I just checked mine with GRC ShieldsUp!, which says -
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0

So your bank would know this info when you visit ! - unless you spoofed your headers  Roll_eyes
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The latest FF has a stealth mode, might be worth comparing what that says?
Anonymous
Not applicable

While that would be interesting, if someone was trying to recover from a fraudulent online financial transaction, I would imagine the bank might look dimly on the use of stealthed browser/OS headers.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I have no idea where you've got this "stealth mode" from, if you mean private browsing, the main idea of that is to not store the history on your computer, the user agent is exactly the same, and I use private mode for online banking.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I must have miss-read it. I thought there was a semi-tor mode, but it is just no local data stored.
How do you enter that mode, I had a quick look but couldn't find it ?Huh
VileReynard
Hero

There is a TOR plugin for firefox.
I think you need to use it carefully, though.
The idea behind TOR is to prevent anyone discovering your ip address.
Very useful if you live in Syria etc.

BryanP
Grafter

I think if you look into the small print of internet banking, the banks will only entertain Microsoft Explorer as their designated interface for transactions so if you use any other "user beware2
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yep the MOST insecure browser there is.  Crazy Crazy Crazy
VileReynard
Hero

My bank says:-
It is important to keep ALL software up to date, including Adobe and Java.

it should say
It is important to remove ALL Adobe and Java software.
  Roll_eyes

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I remember when I was contacting, the bank the company used required a SPECIFIC version of java to work, The normal happens and java updates itself, and IT would have to uninstall and replace it again.