cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Four Questions about Linux Mint 17 ( or whatever version )

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Four Questions about Linux Mint 17 ( or whatever version )

Four questions. on "How do I .......?" in Linux

1. How do I  remove or uninstall a program  ( some wine programs have uninstall, but some don`t )

2. How do I "Kill" a program that has stopped responding.. ( in windows it uses CTRL ALT DEL  )

3. How do I have the "Rubbish Bin" on the Desktop.

4. How do I install new fonts, and where do I get them from?  ( assume can download from font sites as in windows  ? ?)

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
redringrico

Re: Four Questions about Linux Mint 17 ( or whatever version )

I'm not familiar with Linux Mint, but I can answer a few of your questions.

1: It would appear the Linux Mint uses Aptitude for its package manager, you could use the command: apt-get remove <program>. To also remove configuration files, use the option --purge.  There should also be a program called Software Manager which offers a GUI for managing installed software.

2: Use the command kill or killall, passing in the flag -9 will send the SIGKILL signal to the program.  killall is good for killing a program if you only know it by name and there is only one running instance.  kill requires the process identifier; as some programs will spawn multiple child processes, killing the root process will in turn kill the rest.  The man pages for both programs are much more thorough.

4: Just copy the fonts you require to your ~/.fonts directory.  If you want more fonts for WINE, copy them to your ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts directory.

I hope that helps.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

2. How do I "Kill" a program that has stopped responding.. ( in windows it uses CTRL ALT DEL  )

There is a System Monitor application, similar to Windows Task manager https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/gnome-system-monitor, that will allow to to use the GUI to kill processes. It's installed by default in Ubuntu but you may have to install it separately in Mint

This http://mixeduperic.com/linux-mint/how-to-add-and-remove-desktop-icons-in-linux-mint-computer-home-ne... should help with the Rubbish Bin ( Trash Icon ) on the desktop

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

@shutter

Must admit my knowledge of Linux is zero despite using it most of the time and being lazy cannot be bothered to learn the coding used by linux, however I have found there is a easy answer, just join the Linux forum and post questions, the answers are usually in the form of sudo this... or apt get that.... might as well be in Greek to me but the solution is to copy and paste the information provided into the terminal.

No doubt dedicated Linux fans will be up in arms at this suggestion but some of us have little time left do we want to be spending it learning another coding language or be doing more interesting things.

Hope the answers provided by others in preceding posts has solved you problem(s)

If not then remember Linux forum.........

Wink

We are born into history and history is born into us.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Fix

1. How do I  remove or uninstall a program  ( some wine programs have uninstall, but some don`t )

3. How do I have the "Rubbish Bin" on the Desktop.

4. How do I install new fonts, and where do I get them from?  ( assume can download from font sites as in windows  ? ?)

1. Depends on where you got it from, if it is a wine program then use the wine sudmenu to remove it, or just delete it from the disk. If it is a native program use Synaptic (menu/Admin/Synaptic or just menu type syn). Then search for the program name and then right click on the program and select remove. Alternatively In the menu right click and choose Uninstall.

2. RIght click on the menu bar and choose Add Applet. Choose the Kill one. It will add an X to the panel, click on it then the unresponsive program.

3. Menu/Preferences Then Desktop (or right click on the desktop and choose settings) then click on the rubbish bin to add it.

4. As 1 Synaptic and choose the font. Or see HERE Or Here

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Install the htop program (with sudo apt-get install htop)
This allows you to a multitude of things...

Run in it in a terminal screen - press q to exit from htop.

See attached...

Screenshot from 2016-07-05 19_09_06.png

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."