cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum on Thunderbird

netconuk

Forum on Thunderbird

In the 'old days' I used to be able to read these forum posts in my NNTP client associated with Outlook Express. I have downloaded Thunderbird which offers the same, but can anyone give me the account settings?
I have guessed at usenet.plus.net (port 119) and also news.plus.net and sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net (but I can't think where I got that from!)
I have tried to log on using my normal PlusNet web login credentials but that failed.
-Jerry
7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Forum on Thunderbird

We still have text based newsgroups available at news.plus.net but they aren't the same as these forums. They're only available when you're connected through your Plusnet connection, requiring no username and password. There's a bit of information on this here: http://community.plus.net/library/email/all-about-usenet/?source=keymatch
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There are RSS feeds available for these forums; for example http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=.xml;type=rss2;limit=25 gives the last 25 posts and community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=.xml;type=rss2;limit=25;board=2.0 gives the last 25 posts in the Announcements board.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=25009.0 gives the information needed to generate your own feed URLs.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
netconuk

Thanks Chris. Are you saying that you can't get these forums on NNTP?
Does anyone look at the old feeds anymore? They just seemed so much easier and quicker to use than the web version.
-Jerry
jelv
Seasoned Hero

plusnet.service.customer-feedback still has some activity.
These SMF based forums have NEVER had a link to NNTP. They were launched in 2007.
netconuk

Thanks Jelv. Your RSS link worked OK but I can't get the nice threaded format we used to have. It's flat like it is on these pages. Is that normal with RSS?
-Jerry
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Yep, that's how RSS works.
The news groups that Chris linked to the article about in the first reply will be what you are familiar with and work well in Thunderbird (I frequent plusnet.service.customer-feedback).
netconuk

Thanks Jelv. Yes I've got the old feeds OK but if they're not up to date then I guess there's little point. Progress eh? I just loved the simplicity, speed and ease of use with NNTP. Apart from the dubious advantage of adding these strange faces above and having different fonts I can see no other!
Perhaps I'm just too old.
-Jerry