cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Updates

samuria
Grafter

Forum Updates

My self and many others of the gang spend a lot of time helping people with problems on all forums. We often spend time searching for solutions for people.
The problem is a lot of threads are left with no conclusion we post  a fix but the people never answer to say thanks or anything which is very frustrating as you want to know if your hard work has been appreciated and it fixed the problem.
Apart from that the purpose of these forums is in effect to create a knowledge database so if someone else has a problem they can often find the solution from old posts. If people dont bother to reply then we never no if  the solution worked and if not did something else solve it so people with a similar problem can find something that works.
So for everyones sake please update any outstanding problems on all forums please remember people give their time on these Forums for free so its nice to be appreciated every so often
11 REPLIES 11
artificer
Grafter

Re: Forum Updates

on the pclinuxos.com forum people are encouraged to thank helpers and mark their threads [SOLVED] when they have a solution.  it's even in the rules.  good manners and graciousness costs little effort and creates good feelings all round.
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
The problem is a lot of threads are left with no conclusion we post  a fix but the people never answer to say thanks or anything which is very frustrating as you want to know if your hard work has been appreciated and it fixed the problem.

My Bold
Of course that is not true, some people do post back and say thank you for the help.  The people that don't say thank you have no manners.
Giving  feed back on solutions offered should be encouraged and maybe it should be in the forum rules?
Marking threads as [Solved] would be very helpful when searching for solutions.
Quote from: samuria
[snip] please remember people give their time on these Forums for free so its nice to be appreciated every so often

I believe the majority of forum members do appreciate help given and the effort that requires.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

one trouble is that only the original requester or the Mods can alter the title, and you know how people keep jumping on threads Undecided Cry
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Speaking personally, I always try and respond with thanks and a resume' of the fix when supplied by a forum "bright spark". Lack of expertise means I am very rarely able to offer practical advice, but I understand exactly where samuria is coming from. It's something we should all do as a matter of course.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Mav
Fixes: 515

I agree with OP. A brief Thanks and Solved would be polite & helpful.
@samuria - I will reply with a thanks to your help in 'Changing Boot Drive' but I haven't had time to test it yet Wink
Would it be possible, to make searching for solutions to a problem easier before posting, for an index of solved issues to be created.
Not sure how the above could be done, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

artificer
Grafter

the search function on smf is dire and often the searcher is ignorant of the terminology that will get to the useful information.  i've found it's mostly a 'suck it and see process' and post my query regardless if i don't know what to ask for.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Mav

Would it be possible, to make searching for solutions to a problem easier before posting, for an index of solved issues to be created.

I believe this has been suggested before, but would be horrendously difficult to achieve in practice, partly because there are a multitude of different ways of describing faults, solutions etc. cross referencing would be a nightmare.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
firefly2
Grafter

hi... i hopefully have said "thank-you "and been very grateful for all of the help i have needed.
i am not a ditherer except on the pc...  frightened of cocking the thing up and not having the know-how to put it right..  Lips_are_sealed
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I also support Samuria and hope that I have tried to maintain the spirit of the Forum and thanked helpers.
I do also feel that an index of problems and solutions would be a full time job.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
community
Grafter

Hi samuria
I certainly have had the benefit of your wisdom and help many , many times and I have always thanked you for your amazing knowledge and boundless energy .
I also am a full-time (yes, being a helper is nearly always a fultime job) adviser to another Forum and my reward is always a simple thank you.
However, being a helper is sometimes thankless and I often wonder if the recipient of my time is either without grace or has forgotten about his/her question, or , or ,or--there are probably many reasons why I didn't receive any feedback so I just put it down to experience and soldier on because I know that the majority of my listeners are now feeling good.
I suppose it's like being a medic!
Anyway, for all those who didn't thank you let it be known that you are greatly appreciated for your help and long may you continue to serve Smiley
By the way, I am about to start another thread asking for help with a piece of new software which requires USB 2.0 but doesn't seem to recognise the connection, so please stick around Wink
cheers
Eddie Johnson
valart
Grafter

I have just thanked the guys in the broadband forum with their comments about my router I think it nice for people to thankful for there help my only problem is sometimes the help is too technical for a 71year old but I get by one way or the other