cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formating MMC Card

morgan2476
Grafter

Formating MMC Card

I have 2 MMC cards 4GB and 2GB I can only format the 4GB as fat32 and I wanting to format it as fat similar to the card but for some reason I am only able to format it fat32 any ideas.  Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Formating MMC Card

The 2-GB partition limit is imposed by the maximum number of clusters and the largest cluster size supported by the FAT file system. The FAT file system is limited to 65,525 clusters. The size of a cluster must be a power of 2 and less than 65,536 bytes--this results in a maximum cluster size of 32,768 bytes (32K). Multiplying the maximum number of clusters (65,525) by the maximum cluster size (32,768) equals 2 GB.
This means that the maximum (universally supported) partition size for a FAT16 filesystem is 2GB.
Windows 2000/XP/Vista will support  a cluster size of 64k, not 32k which doubles the maximum size of a FAT16 filesystem to 4GB.  However, as it's removable media I'm assuming that it's for a device such as a camera which may not support a FAT16 filesystem that large.
However, the camera may support a FAT32 filesystem.
B.
morgan2476
Grafter

My problem is that I had a 4GB card in my phone - I cannot remember how I formated it.  This morning I deleted some files and I tried to copy some on to it using Nokia musci manager and then the phone did not recognise the card - hence my plan of trying a differnet format.  My pc recognises the card through a card reader but when I now put the card into the phone it won't even switch on.
morgan2476
Grafter

I have managed to solve the problem - I formatted the disk using the disk management tool that is quite a handy utility.
Thanks