Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced to buy new laptop and desktop.

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Forced to buy new laptop and desktop.

The video card on my old XP desktop has just blown and my XP laptop (both HP) is running hotter and hotter and I fear a failure there too !  Both are old and I must bite the bullet and buy new machines.  That means changing to Windows 10.  So a few questions :
1. Where can I buy new machines at a reasonable price without Windows 10 pre-loaded ?  I do not want all the added bloatware and accessories that come with most pre-installed machines, but want a clean install which allows me to decide what else I want on the machines.  I like to keep things as simple as possible.  I also do not want  Windows 8 pre-loaded with a free Windows 10 upgrade under any corcuumstances.  That just leads to spaghetti coding.  I want virgin machines at a competitive price.  So can anyone recommend anything suitable ?  I do not game, I do not watch TV, I do not stream films or music, I do not do social networking.  I just use a computer for basic working.
2. I understand that Windows 10 comes with a Windows XP emulator.  Does that mean that I could run my legacy software through the emulator ?  Could I use the XP emulator all the time and forget all the Windows 10 features and all the hype ?
3. If I am unable to use my old Outlook 2000 client even under the XP emulator, what alternatives are there ?  Once bitten, twice shy, so I will not invest in the new Outlook only to find that the next generation of system softeware is not backwards compatible.  I run my whole life through Outlook and do not know how I am going to cope without it.  I have every email I have written since Microsoft Exchange first came out nearly twenty years ago, and constantly have to refer back to historic documents which I have stored in Outlook *.pst files.  What about Thunderbird ?
Any comments would be appreciated from anyone who is familiar with Windows 10.
16 REPLIES 16
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Forced to buy new laptop and desktop.

For 'No gaming etc.', something here might suit - some come with no OS: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Refurb/Refurbished+Systems/ ; http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Refurb/Refurbished+Laptops/
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

My new laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 5558..... You can also get a 17 inch version..... there are a couple of "chip" options, that you might want to investigate regarding their speed and operating characteristics...  I have the Core i3 version.....
It came with Windows 8.1 on it ... with the inevitable upgrade option.... however... despite it having a 500GB hdd... ( basic version )...  I have removed that and put in a "new" 250GB hdd and installed Windows 7 Professional... it works great... 
With the cost of HDD`s being relatively low, it is an option you could consider.... leaving the origina HDD with whatever the laptop was shipped with...
Mine cost me Just under £300.00 inc delivery the next day ! ! !...
Linky.....  http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-5558-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC
It is the one on the left.... 15.6 screen with 500GB drive....  I see the price is now £329.00  !...
You may be able to get it with Unbuntu... but not sure....
shutter
Community Veteran

Just a thought.... I am running Microsoft Publisher 98 on it too ! ! ... 
shermans
Pro

Thanks for that.  I have to be honest.  The only problem is that I used to work for Compaq and they pay my pension !  Dell was the acrch, arch, arch enemy, with court battles, hate campaigns, more than just rivalry.  I just could not do it !  Anything except Dell, because it would be too disloyal and my conscience would not allow it !  I am sure they are every bit as good as Compaq or HP, but it is just the principle of it.  That is also why I feel obliged to stick with Mirosoft and not consider Linux or Apple.  I'm a bit old fashioned, I suppose, but it is a question of loyalty.  I have no problem with any other manufacturer.
shutter
Community Veteran

I used to think that about cars..... was a Triumph Herald "nut".... and would not have considered anything that was not "british".... until...... my missus spotted the Skoda when I needed a new motor.. ( previously had a hated Ford Orion Diesel.
Now... I would not go back to a "british" car...  unless.............  Cheesy
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Windows 10 is different to previous versions of Windows in that anyone can download installation media easily.  Therefore you can buy any Windows 10 (or 8 ) computer and do a clean install of Windows 10 to eliminate all bloatware (if it comes with Windows 8 you would have to upgrade, then clean install).  There is no "spaghetti coding", everything gets wiped in a clean install.
I have not tried the emulator; check that it is present in all versions.  I knew someone who ran an emulated XP on his Windows 7 machine for years.  You would probably have to pirate a copy of XP and you would suffer the same problems as with real XP, an increasing difficulty in finding new hardware and software that works with it.
I would not use Thunderbird if you ever foresee wanting to get your emails out again.  Surely a newer version of Outlook could mount or import your old .pst files? You can get a free trial of Office 2016 (including Outlook) at the moment. 
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

.pst files can be opened by the office 365 version of outlook
and if you take the free trial it doesn't uninstall your existing versions, so you can try it without any problems,
you could buy a new pc from somewhere like ebuyer (they have some really cheap boxes atm) if its only for general work, and then install your old xp hdd into the box, make sure your old xp hdd is not in the boot list and you will be able to access the files in it from windows 10 without any problems (at least I do that with an old laptop drive on my spare system)
if your a home user and decide to subscribe for office 365 then you also get 1tb of onedrive storage as part of the sub and you get  bonus of 4 spare licences (that's up to 5 machines each + 1 tb of data per user) for other family members, I took this out earlier this year and yes it will cost the same as an old version of office pro over 5 years but unlike the old versions you don't pay upfront.
just make sure that whatever system you buy has either win7 /8/8.1/10 pro x64 or else the virtual machines you run will be limited to single core x32 with 756mb ram with a virtual gpu and 512mb vram.....the pro or enterprise version of the operating system don't have those limitations Smiley
the choice then becomes which vm system you want to use, but so long as you still posess the install disk(s) and have a genuine cd key it should all just work, pc mag have blog on setting up a couple of common vm programs under 7/8 and its basically the same under 10
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
shermans
Pro

Thanks.  There have been some really useful posts and I am grateful.
In the meantime, I came across the following two articles and wonderred if these solutions for Outlook 2000 really work, and whether they would also work on Windows 10 ?  It would be a God-send for me if it does.
First solution
"Here's what I did to get Outlook 2000 to work:
• Transfer all the Outlook 2000-related AppData files from Local and Roaming on your old computer into the same folders on the Windows 7 unit.
• Install Outlook 2000 from disk and choose Workgroup mode.
• Navigate to the Outlook 2000 application (outlook.exe) file on your hard drive.
• Right-click on the file name and run the program in compatibility mode for Vista.
You may have to copy and transfer WAB.dll files into the Windows/System32 folder.

Here's the second solution :
"Solved: Outlook 2000 and Win 7 & 8
Copy the files:
wab32.dll wab32res.dll
from the directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System
to the directory:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64
Works every time and ,as far as I am concerned
"
I am intrigued to learn whether either of these really are a solution.
TVM.
nanotm
Pro

The best way to find out would be to backup the entire computer and then try it.
If you have the option of using a compatibility mode then often things will work even if they are not supported
nanotm
Pro

not sure if your still looking for a laptop but this is a good deal if your needs are not to great on the hardware side http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEAP-HP-ProBook-6455b-Laptop-Windows-7-Dual-Core-2-8GHz-1-Year-Warranty-W...
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: shermans

to the directory:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64

That's for the 64-bit stuff so I'm dubious it is the right/best place.  I'd be tempted to try the C;\Windows\System32 folder instead. 
shermans
Pro

Would it matter if I put a copy in both directories ?
shermans
Pro

Quote from: nanotm
not sure if your still looking for a laptop but this is a good deal if your needs are not to great on the hardware side http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEAP-HP-ProBook-6455b-Laptop-Windows-7-Dual-Core-2-8GHz-1-Year-Warranty-W...
[/quote
Thanks, but by the time I read this, the sale had ended !]
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: shermans
Would it matter if I put a copy in both directories ?

Probably not.  I vaguely recall following something akin to the instructions you found year ago - on a computer running Vista I think.  It probably worked as I don't remember otherwise