Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Font & Display size

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Font & Display size

This, to me, is a very weird and complicated problem.

I have two laptops.... Dell 15 5558  15inch  and ASUS ROG 17inch

Obviously, the display characteristics are different and much better on the ASUS than the Dell as it is "gaming machine".. ( but I don`t use it as such - just an ordinary surfing type laptop).

so. If I take my Dell as "standard display"...  on a 15inch screen... (because that is what I am used to).... 

I would expect that, with exactly the same settings for display and font sizes (on each machine)  from the settings menus, to see the same font size and  application window sizes ( although pro-rata, the 17 inch should be a tad larger to fill the same proportional sizes on screen as the 15inch Dell.

but I don`t......

here are some pics for comparison.

First the DELL Screen....  (it`s not as blue as it looks ! ! )

P1100749 DELL.jpg  

and now the ASUS 17 inch screen .

P1100750 ASUS.jpg

The main thing to notice here is the physical size on screen of the smaller sub-menu window ...

and also the larger typeface ( IONOSPHERE  CONNECTED )

If you look at the "font" type and size on both you will see that they are both exactly the same setting.

In actual fact the ASUS typeface looks to be about twice the size of the DELL, for the same setting. 

The next pics show the DEFAULT laptop DISPLAY settings for each machine.

First the DELL DEFAULT DISPLAY SETTING

P1100751 DELL.jpg

And the ASUS Default Display settings

P1100752 ASUS.jpg

By changing the ASUS to the same size setting as the DELL... it look like this.....

P1100754 ASUS.jpg

NO... that is NOT a CROPPED PIC OF THE SCREEN. !.... the screen is filled to over capacity ! ! ..

Moving on to another "sub-menu" on the app,.....

note, again, the sub-menu window size on the DELL below,....

P1100755 DELL.jpg

and the same choice of sub-menu as showing on the ASUS 17inch screen.

P1100756 ASUS.jpg

Here the sub-menu is smaller on the ASUS  17inch screen than on the Dell 15inch screen .

I would expect them to be the same

Also... check out the size of the top menu bar on each screen.... again... the ASUS is larger than the Dell.

Another Weird Anomoly in font sizes... 

check out the small window bottom left corner... on both screens...  this is called the "on channel" window and shows the active "channel number".....

Channel: 1000

Here is the DELL "on channel"  in close up...

P1100758 DELL.jpg

Note the font size is about 12 or 14  on the title bar.....

BUT... ON THE ASUS.. it is barely readable...

P1100760 ASUS.jpg

Probably size 4 or 6 ......

The next two pics show an actual "TEST" done by typing the word TEST on the DELL 15 inch,.....

which is then transmitted to, and received by the ASUS ROG 17 inch  ...

REMEMBER that both machines have the same font size settings throughout ....

P1100764 DELL.jpg

and the ASUS RECEIVES it and shows it like this........

P1100765 ASUS.jpg

So... now you have seen the problem..... can anyone please... help me to reset, whatever it is that needs setting, to that the ASUS 17inch screen shows (at least) a similar pro-rata sizing of objects and text font sizes

Running Linux Mint 20.1

As an aside..   I have played around with the font sizes on the  Control Panel >  "Appearance

and also using   <  winecfg   >  (which is a different route to the same thing as Appearance gives ! ! ! )

but these setting do not work  "in tandem"... i.e.  if I set something up, it sometimes messes up some other app display.

I have also used Firefox "ZOOM"  level to 120% or 133%  for websites... which works ok on the ASUS  ( no need for it on the DELL )

Incidentally, the typeface size on this ASUS for writing this, looks to be about size 10  ( as default ) ..at the default Firefox setting of 100%

12 REPLIES 12
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Font & Display size

Disregarding zoom, how do the screen resolutions compare between the two @shutter ?

i.e. how many pixels w x h ?

Edit:  Also, if you haven't got your display set to its 'native' resolution that can cause it not to display the best image.

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN see pics 3,  4,  & 5  in my original post ! ! ! .

Wink

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Sorry @shutter , I missed that as there was too much info for me to take in!  Wink

Hard for me to put into words, but basically it's down to the number of pixels for each item, be that text or objects being displayed.

As I see it, if an object is, say, 150 x 100 pixels, it will look smaller on a high resolution screen than on a lower resolution screen of similar (or close, or even smaller) physical size.

All to do with the number of pixels which make up the screen 'real estate'.

If for the purpose of this exercise you were to set the Asus screen resolution to the same as the Dell, the items would (should) be a genuine pro-rata size comparison (but then the effects mentioned in my edit in post #2 above would obviously come into play).

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN 

said.......

If for the purpose of this exercise you were to set the Asus screen resolution to the same as the Dell, the items would (should) be a genuine pro-rata size comparison (but then the effects mentioned in my edit in post #2 above would obviously come into play).

So... if you check out pic number 3    compare that to pic number 5 .... which is what you suggested... i.e. use the same screen resolution setting.....

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter wrote:

So... if you check out pic number 3    compare that to pic number 5 .... which is what you suggested... i.e. use the same screen resolution setting.....

Dunno, it beats me then @shutter  Wink

But I forgot about the Linux factor (which may or may not be relevant)!  Cheesy

shutter
Community Veteran

Linux factor ?    both machines running the same version of Linux....  Undecided<------->Undecided

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Doesn't help - sorry @shutter  - but I have two 15" laptops both set at 1920 x1080 (16:9), one of which is perfectly readable at 100% magnification, the other  has to be set to 120, or even 133% for equivalent ease - using the same sites - go figure!

John
shutter
Community Veteran

It`s not about the websites... it is about the different font sizes and display of the app windows    Zoom has nothing to do with it...( only mentioned the zoom for firefox, in case someone suggested that might be the problem..)

I have set the ASUS up to the same "Default" settings as on the Dell machine,..( apart from the default different resolution screens sizes as shown on pics 3    4   &   5  ) .

There are no adjustable items  ( apart from the internal change of font produced on screen where it shows IONOSPHERE... ) it is not possible to adjust the window sizes or window title fonts....

jab1
Legend

I know it's not the sites, just thought I'd mention it, but you would expect the screens to be the same, after all, they are both 15" and both set to the same resolution?

Anyway, I'll butt out as I can't offer any useful help - sorry.😉

John
jab1
Legend

Just before I really shut up on this topic:

Linux MachineLinux MachineW7 machineW7 machine

John
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Same browser?

Perhaps these web "designers" are up to all their old tricks of stuffing the web page with trying to use the useragent string to discover the browser and managing to fail on Linux.

They could fix my display if they could interpret it, alternatively just use 100% of the screen window width.

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   With my problem, it is not to do with the Browser (zoom) ... it is different all over different apps and sections of certain apps ! ! ..

I`ll just have to live with it.... as I have done a re-install, to eliminate all the messing around changing this and that setting, then changing them again.... etc etc..!..