Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing Flourescent Light

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Flashing Flourescent Light

Our kitchen is lit by a 6ft  ( 1830 mm ) Flourescent Light fitting.  it`s been ok for the past 7 years, at least,.. ( may have been working longer before we arrived ).  Last night I switched it on as usual, but all it does is flash on and off repeatedly... I have tried to remove the starter unit, but cannot get a proper grip on it, to twist it,... Maybe use my "pipe grippers" when I can get to the shed ( snowed in !)..

Wondering if it may be the tube that has gone , or would it be the starter misfiring ?

Looking at the B&Q site they show several different wattage tubes,... but NONE of them have the lenght measurement under the descriptions ! ! !... Weird or what  ? 

Any suggestions which bit may be faulty ? 

I could buy a replacement unit complete,  but don`t really want the hassle of trying to fit it ! 

13 REPLIES 13
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Flashing Flourescent Light

Its usually the starter or the lamp, if you can get a cloth or something to help you get a bit more grip on the starter, turn it anti-clockwise and it should pull out, if the lamp comes on then it`s the starter. (that's if you remove it when the light is flashing) Wink

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

As it's located in the kitchen it seems you've managed to get flour in your fluorescent tube.  Cheesy

Forgot to mention, maybe the problem is temperature related due to the cold weather?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

Looking at the B&Q site they show several different wattage tubes,... but NONE of them have the lenght measurement under the descriptions ! ! !... Weird or what  ? 

This may help you decode the length of the tubes on offer.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Have a look at this @shutter 

You'll notice that whilst some mention length, they all mention power which you'll be able to determine when you can remove the existing one.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Browni B&Q is 1.9 miles from where I live... so I think Amazon in South Wales is a long way to go to take the old one for comparison ! ! !! ... ( thanks anyway Wink  )

@RobPN  OK.... thanks for that information.... Pity that the company selling the items can`t put it on their site...  from what is writ on the Wiki site, it seems I need a T8  6ft 70W tube... so... just to be on the safe side... tomorrow morning.. I`ll try to get th old tube out, and take it round the cornere to B&Q and let them sell me the right one ! ! .

cheers guys

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@RobPN wrote:

Forgot to mention, maybe the problem is temperature related due to the cold weather?

The old tubes don't seem to like cold and damp. The one in my shed often had flickering problems. I eventually gave up on that and replaced it with a couple of the small standard bayonet fluorescent bulbs.

I still have the one in my kitchen. Some winters it can be sometimes heard buzzing when switched off. Hasn't done it this year as I replaced the tube and starter in summer. Though that could be down to it being more cold and dry rather than cold and damp this winter here.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I've replaced several of ours with an LED unit - brighter light and no flickering AND cheaper to run.  E.G. LED-Direct-Replacement-Fluorescent

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

I have also swapped all mine for LED. You change both the starter and tube, you should find a 'starter' (for LED tubes it shorts the two pins) packaged with the tube. These are instant start and lower power with no loss of illumination.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the input guys !.

@billnotben& @RobPN  Cold and damp not in this kitchen... its at same temp as the rest of house... ( around 18c ) ...

@Gel Thanks for the linky... yes, I think I have seen the thinner onese, and used them before.

@MauriceC Interesting..  however, the price is twice as much as a "standard" T8 replacement... and the actual time on usage per day would be about 30 minutes  so the "savings" on running costs would not be recouped before I die.... !   ( or moved house, whichever comes first ! ! ! ! )..

Point of interest....  Missus went into the kitchen just after my previous posting... and hey presto... it`s working normally again...

Amazing how you guys keep things within the PN logo/motto   "We`ll do you proud"  ! !  Cheesy

Thanks for all the input...     case closed methinks ! ! !  Smiley

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

6ft T8 replacement, decide colour,  Warm White, White, Daylight...... decisions....

new tube could be thinner than present but will still fit fitting,  Also suggest popping a replacement starter .  

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

I fitted an LED tube in the kitchen, instant on, no flickering, no warming up, just light on demand, well worth the money given a lot of LED tubes now are at the same price as equivalent sized fluoro tubes... Smiley

shutter
Community Veteran

Update !.... managed to remove the starter with a pair of pliers ! ! ... went to b&q ... got  a pair..  (£3.00 )  .( you can`t buy one ! ! )... put one in..... no difference... so back to b&q   new 6ft tube  £12.00 a bit of faffing about, cos I couldn`t quite see the far end connector due to varifocal specs ! ! !.. to make sure the pins were lined up with the slot... but now all back together and working ...

cheers fellers !. Smiley