cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash player update !

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Flash player update !

Tried to watch the news on the BBC website & it tells me I need Flash Player download.

New version 22.0.0.192 is out within the last week, I am running Firefox, any one know

if the update is safe to use?

16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Flash player update !

I prefer sticking with the stable ""Extended Support Release"" version 18 instead of chasing the latest bells and whistles.

Always works without any problems.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

It works fine on FF47 Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

FF has an extension which disables flash.

That way the site can preferentially use HTML5 - if available.

This doesn't work with the BBC though.Sad

Lurch
Rising Star

VileReynard wrote:

FF has an extension which disables flash.

That way the site can preferentially use HTML5 - if available.

I don't have flash installed, seems a bit pointless installing flash then installing an extension to disable it. I don't use Java either, in the last 2 or 3 years I've not really found much that doesn't work, and anything that doesn't is generally not really worth bothering with anyway so I am not missing much.

Fixes: 133

I have had nothing but problems with Flash for some time with FF so uninstalled it.

Now, if I visit I site that requires Flash and I want to see that content, I view the site in Chrome that has Flash built-in and, so far, no problems.

Having said that I have just seen the following regarding Google phasing out full Adobe Flash support.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So.... I just uninstalled Adobe Flash Player, and now I can`t watch TV on line... !..

So.. I looked for an alternative in PaleMoon/Firefox addons, and there is one called "No Flash". which is supposed to use HTML5 instead of Flash Player.... . installed that, but still cant watch tv online...( TV Listings and Film ON )   . however other "live" videos seem to work with it...

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

But most websites still only stream using Flash so no Flash in the browser, no streaming from those sites.

The cost to swap from Flash to HTML5 is massive for a website so they will only do it when they see a good financial case.

It will be years before Flash streaming stops just like the change over to IPv6

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

I've noticed that the BBC appears to have recently switched to providing videos in HTML5.

They seem to have continued with flash player streaming, though.

ronindundee
Hooked

Hello! This is my first time on net in domestic setting. All very new to me, and confusing. I can't answer your question (although would hope someone would have by now. If it is still showing, does that indicate that no one did?) but one of the reasons I am on this space is to ask for help in downloading Flash player! And a few other computing problems. If you can tell me how to pursue this I would be grateful. Hope you are in good health, and enjoying your evening.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Linux, Mac or Windows & what distro / version etc?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

I imagine https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ works in every case.

ronindundee
Hooked

Hello. I am grateful for the reply. I ought to have said that I followed all the steps when tried to install. 5 times. But I will click on your link and give it at try. Am also trying to get rid of MSN with no luck, I bought this computer from a pal's wife, and her details keep coming up, e.g.' when was 'window' shopping on e-bay, it populated the name and address fields with her details. MSN keeps asking me to sign in --- as her.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

If you are using Linux, you would get your updates from a secure repository.

Adobe (not just their software) are untrustworthy.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

ronindundee wrote:

... I bought this computer from a pal's wife, and her details keep coming up, ...

You need to go to Control Panel and create a new User Account for yourself.  Then restart the computer and login using the new account to avoid the computer thinking you are your pal's wife.