cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash, Browsers and Linux. Whats going on with it these days? [SOLVED]

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Java and Flash, whats going on with it these days?

If you open http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html
it will tell you what version of Flash you have:-
For me (Mint) Flash works fine & I get:-

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
Excuse my ignorance, I have read so much on this issue lately I forget where I saw it and who pointed me there  Crazy So any builds previous to 11.2.202.228 should be ok for people who's hardware doesn't support SSE2

From Adobe Vulnerability identifier: APSB12-14
Users of Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.235 and earlier versions for Linux should update to Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.236.

If that's the version you have in Chrome 19, you're best sticking with it if it works for you.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Waldo, thanks for seeing this out it's been emotional  Cry ;D. I am indeed using Chrome version 19.0.1084.56 and the flash is 11.2.202.236 I intend to keep it as long as possible but my worry is this from the same page, hopefully I can do something to prevent updating  Undecided
Flash Player installed with Google Chrome will be updated automatically, so no user action is required. Google Chrome users can verify that they have updated to Google Chrome version 19.0.1084.56, which includes Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.257.

Adobe must be a little behind I guess as Chrome 20 is the new stable and that's where the problem lies.
Rival chip-maker AMD added support for SSE2 with the introduction of their Opteron and Athlon 64 ranges of AMD64 64-bit CPUs in 2003.

Seems like there will be millions of users out there affected by this, in general how many people install Linux because the have an old system? A lot I would have thought, in fact it's one of linux's main selling points the fact that it runs smoothly on a low end system. Beats me when flash is dying and Adobe just needs to make it secure until it fizzles out they decided it needed some SSE2 code in there  Shocked It must have managed for many years without it and no problems so why change now. Fair enough don't develop it further, I'm down with that but don't add anything to an already stable release that will cause this much grief and vulnerability at the same time you declare your going to stop making it. Shocking, it's a bit like selling someone a car and then wrecking it before you drop it off. Campaign time I think  Grin hopefully some Linux boffs will be able to code something for us to use in the repos and adobe can take their version and stick it where the suns generally not shining.
From what I understand SSE2 isn't making much of a difference and could easily be removed so Adobe just want to get on with it tbh.
neil@XLDesktop:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 10
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1900+
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 1463.000
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips : 2951.18
clflush size : 32
cache_alignment : 32
address sizes : 34 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management: ts

No SSE2 support on this machine, will check my home one when I get back but I'm guessing it's a done deal going by the age of my other machine. Both of which are a bit like triggers brush I think the mboard and cpu are probably the only original parts. No chance of upgrading either both have the max cpu they can take. It would appear that it's not the first time I've fell victim to SSE2, many moons ago I shelled out nearly 300 notes on a graphics card when I was into my pc gaming to find it wouldn't play GRAW. Turns out while browsing this was also a SSE2 issue. I game on PS3 now and know everything will play.
Would tag this solved if I knew how to  Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Would tag this solved if I knew how to  Smiley

Well you could edit your first post and In the subject add (SOLVED). This Is what I used to do.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Re: Java and Flash, whats going on with it these days? [SOLVED]

Done. Many thanks to all participating, hopefully it will prevent someone else pulling their hair out  Grin TBH the answer was the last thing I thought it was going to be. I have noticed since the Chrome update that there are a lot more posts related to this problem than when I first encountered it but just by chance I came across it the day the problem first happened. I installed the working version and the problem one was released the next night. Hopefully someone will try and fix it, I guess as more people update their browsers and flash they will realise and start pressuring adobe to do something. In my instance If I had installed Chrome the following day I would have had no browsers capable of displaying flash and reverting to an old version would have been the last thing I would have thought of!
Edit* Also changed title to a one which may be better for searchers.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Re: Flash, Browsers and Linux. Whats going on with it these days? [SOLVED]

If google knew adobe were going to do this and google are going to be still developing flash in their own browser then that sounds like a very amicable plan for both parties, adobe can leave it and move on without too much hassle and google gets everyone using their browser until html5 is fully fledged. Or maybe I'm just paranoid 

Or maybe not! http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/adobe-adandons-flash-on-linux
Looks like Google will have millions of new old AMD Athlon users who have no choice but to use their browser! Smart move.
linux
Grafter

No SSE2 support on this machine, will check my home one when I get back but I'm guessing it's a done deal going by the age of my other machine. Both of which are a bit like triggers brush I think the mboard and cpu are probably the only original parts. No chance of upgrading either both have the max cpu they can take.

If I was in your situation I would consider upgrading the motherboards + CPUs.
Four years ago I needed a replacement motherboard + CPU for my mother's PC. I was able to buy both in a single transaction on eBay for £7 plus £3.50 postage. Both are still in use today, though I might need to replace them again because the CPU is an AMD Duron without SSE2!
I guess the calculation is whether the time taken up by this problem is worth more to you than, say, a round of beers!
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

The systems I have that have old Athlon CPU's in are not important enough to warrant switching out the boards and CPU's, they both have the old type ram as well so other than video card and HDD it's nigh on full build. Most of my browsing at home would be done on either, phone, laptop or my playbook. My home desktop is pretty much used as a server for the rest of my gear and a large hard drive for storage. My 9yo daughter uses it for edu games and browsing so I had to get that running or my life wouldn't be worth living. I may get her a laptop of her own soon but for now I like to keep an eye on what she's doing on the net Smiley My other system at work I dual boot just so I can have a mess about with ubuntu but I do the majority of my work on the other booted windows system. I usually test things out at work and then do the same on my home system when I'm more familiar with how it works.
Probably is quite cheap to upgrade but I have two perfectly functioning systems here. Would be a good idea if I was upgrading for something that will be essential in future but seems a waste of time for something that's dying out anyway. I don't think it's totally dead in the water, someone sent me this saying chrome beta had made a fix but to be brutally honest I haven't got a clue what it means  Grin I guess it will all come down to what Chrome does with flash and pepper until it dies of death.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think it's totally dead in the water, someone sent me this saying chrome beta had made a fix but to be brutally honest I haven't got a clue what it means

It looks completely unrelated because the linked code is about video hardware acceleration using the built-in graphics of the latest Intel "Sandy Bridge" CPUs!
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Yep it didn't seem to have any meaning to me either. Thought it through me lack of understanding  Smiley It was someone of twitter that sent it to me.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Not wishing too over stir this can of worms, but curious as to why flash works on the same system that boots into windows? Surely if the new flash for windows also has SSE2 coding that shouldn't run either! Or does windows handle the flash player differently perhaps?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Plenty of software can detect SSE2 (and higher stuff) support at runtime properly without crashing, I don't know why Adobe have failed to do so on Linux. It seems unlikely that they simply compiled things with the wrong options given to gcc, because you have to explicitly enable SSE2 usage with "gcc -msse2 ..." or "gcc -march=pentium4 ..." if you want it. Although if it's mostly the same codebase, built with the microsoft compiler for Windows, and with gcc for Linux, then maybe Adobe have somehow compiled it incorrectly for Linux.
Linux flash was built with GCC: (GNU) 4.3.2 20081105 (Red Hat 4.3.2-7) and The Netwide Assembler 2.03.01 according to the strings in libflashplayer.so.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Yes it seems very odd that a fix hasn't been issued when it could be fixed and they are well aware of the issue.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Just in case anyone's interested I managed to find another work round for anybody with SSE2 issues. Installing http://www.playonlinux.com/en/ from the software centre which, in itself is a nice little piece of kit more user friendly than wine. In there you can install any browser you want and because this seems to be a linux specific issue the browsers work with flash. The only problem I found was Firefox was using an older version of flash .235 and I had a bit of hassle with FF disabling the Java plugin because it was out of date. This is a known bug with playonlinux.
If I was a bit more techie there probably is a way of downloading the latest flash for windows browsers and some how making that work with a browser thats running in a virtual windows environment but that's beyond me. Just sticking with chrome 19 for now and hoping google do something with the pepper flash to get it working on linux systems.