cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Fixed] Acer laptop, keyboard and touch pad problem

Santiago
Grafter

[Fixed] Acer laptop, keyboard and touch pad problem

My daughters has an Acer laptop Aspire 5050 running Vista Home Premium.
After 18 months of teenage abuse use it was running slow and was fairly messed up. She was complaining about the trackpad and the keyboard not working correctly.
I thought a clean install of vista was needed, which I did from the recovery partition. I had problems getting this to work because the Acer Launch software kept hanging. Eventually I got it to work from the back up recovery disks and completed the install.
However the keyboard is not working properly, you have to press every key down really hard to be able to type the characters. if you just type normally it misses half the letters and spaces.
The trackpad is not right either, when you use it the pointer is very erratic and difficult to control.
Any ideas what is wrong?
4 REPLIES 4
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Acer laptop, keyboard and touch pad problem

Quote from: Santiago
However the keyboard is not working properly, you have to press every key down really hard to be able to type the characters. if you just type normally it misses half the letters and spaces.

Hold on edge keyboard down and lightly tap on tabletop to dislodge uneaten breakfast / lunch / crisps etc Crazy  Use a firm toothbrush to help!
The trackpad is not right either, when you use it the pointer is very erratic and difficult to control.

If you have just re-installed the device drivers, you may need to go in and adjust the sensitivity settings - The default is often too fast.
You should find the controls in 'Control Panel'  I don't have my laptop with me to confirm.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Santiago
Grafter

Thanks Maurice
I have cleared out the crud from the keyboard and I did have a play with the touch pad settings with no improvement.
Ok now the damn thing won't boot at all. The Acer Empowering Technolgy bloat is causing the problem I think.
It kept hanging during the install, I must have run it 10 times before it installed fully.
Interestingly the start up repair utility that came up offered me a command prompt. When I opened the window the keyboard and touchpad both work fine.
I am putting the XP disk in now.
Santiago
Grafter

I installed the XP Pro and it went on nice and easy. However the keyboard and touch pad still would not work.
Long story short, the keyboard and touchpad are now working, cause, the battery.
I removed the battery and everything worked ok. So I have to get a new battery
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: [Fixed] Acer laptop, keyboard and touch pad problem

Ta for the update.  I've seen  batteries cause problems before, but this is a new one to me!
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.