Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First project with my Pi Zero

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

First project with my Pi Zero

So finally got my header strip from China. (7 weeks to deliver)
Installed a i2c OLED display and a CM108 audio card. (& wifi card)
Used the Magpi article oled pyradio as a base. (July issue if you want to read it). Don't do what I did and try Raspberiran lite, I had to install a load of extra files to get it working.
The i2c stuff was simple enough, same as the pi B.
The CM108 was a bit more of a pita but found an article from Adafruit (HERE) on how to enable it.
Now just got to find a smaller usb hub and box it up.
Simple Mpd driven internet radio, controllable from any Mpc enabled device. Might use it to replace my bedroom pi running Kodi as an internet player. Since it is on 24/7 the lower power will be good (maybe 2W vs 8W  Wink ;D)
Thought I might try getting another zero but they are still in short supply. Cry
26 REPLIES 26
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: First project with my Pi Zero

I still can't find them anywhere online for the stated fiver. I have to wonder if the price advertised was merely a gimmick?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Of course you won't find them for a fiver, they're £4!!! Grin
http://swag.raspberrypi.org/collections/pi-zero/products/pi-zero
They're just out of stock due to extremely high demand...
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I was lucky I bought the MagPi mag at Tesco when it first came out.
They have basically been OOS since then. Massive demand, who would have thought it eh?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Hairy
I was lucky I bought the MagPi mag at Tesco when it first came out.

If you found that issue in a Tesco store you really should have bought a lottery ticket at the same time, luck like that is rare.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Or a few copies of the mag since the Pi Zero is going for £15-£20+ on ebay Grin
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I don't do the lotto, I NEVER gamble ever, and have better uses for ££'s a week like FOOD.
I read about the zero at El Reg and saw that the MagPi mag had a free one on the cover, so thought I would try the local shops, Tesco was where I started.
I did go back after I saw them being sold on ebay for £30+, but of course there were none left.
To add insult to injury ... I had a £1 voucher for Tesco and got staff discount (wife works there) so I got the mag for £4.40! Cheaper than I could have gotten it delivered.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I got the mag for £4.40!

Angry Sad Lips_are_sealed   Cry
Maybe I'll eventually manage to get a Pi Zero, until then I'm not talking to you!   Tongue Tongue
[Edit]  OK, I'll stop sulking now, I expect to have to wait quite a while to get hold of one (or two) of these little beauties.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

I finally got my Pi Zero a microSD card yesterday, got Raspbian installing on it now, just needs a wifi adaptor now, might get one of them diddy little ones that look like the receiver for my Logietech K400, to suit the diddy nature of such a small computer... Grin
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I've got one that is actually larger than the zero plugged in at the mo. Massive aerial on it weighs down the pi !
I bought it from ebay, an auction that said it was a particular chip set the pi could use, when it got it it had a different chip that didn't work, so I got a refund. The latest kernel/raspberrian works with it now so all is good.
Got a smaller one coming from China maybe next month it will arrive.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

They have basically been OOS since then. Massive demand, who would have thought it eh?

Indeed. You would have thought they'd learnt from the launch of the original Pi, and produced more than 30k Zeros to begin with
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Well, my Pi seems to run, just needs networking, and maybe a case too, then figure out what to do with it... Grin
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just seen this:
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero
Looks like they just got some Pi Zero's in, but only the full starter kit is left in stock.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Not now they ain't:
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I ordered mine when I made my post and it was showing about 40 left in stock.
I checked it again at about half 6 and they'd all gone Sad
I only knew about it because I had clicked the Notify Me button and provided my email about a month ago.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet