Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First prize.....

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: First prize.....

I normally just wait for Ubuntu to say that an upgrade is available, do I want it?
Then I click yes.
The end.
If something is mis-behaving slightly, you can try clicking on re-install
Otherwise, you can try clicking on completely uninstall, followed by a click on install.
I'm getting a bit click-happy here Cheesy
Personally, I've never had to do it the Windows way where you delete everything then install everything then delete the program you used to all this for you.
I don't get a any mouse errors - have you tried the suggestion in http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/keep-getting-could-not-grab-your-mouse-error-...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: poppy
I find the software manager easy enough to understand and deal with, although it is better in Ubuntu as you can see what is and isn't installed. In Mint I can't fathom this out because all it has is numbers by each item (unless I am missing something).

The number is the level of "Urgency" 1 means a critial upgrade 5 means testing (1-3 are what you normally see in Ubuntu update without the numbers)
I just found this on the Ubuntu mailing list :
This is because both the stable (for your Ubuntu release), and 3.5 are
now both installed.  One way to fix it for all users on your system is
to change the "symlink" for firefox:
/usr/bin/firefox is currently pointing (like a shortcut) to
/usr/bin/firefox-3.0
To change this to 3.5:
$ sudo ln -sf /usr/bin/firefox-3.5 /usr/bin/firefox
(on the command line)
If you want to change it back:
$ sudo ln -sf /usr/bin/firefox-3.0 /usr/bin/firefox

So that explains why you have FF3.1 when you installed 3.5.
In layman's terms the link/shortcut for for firefox is pointing at 3.1 if you run the command 'sudo ln -sf /usr/bin/firefox-3.5 /usr/bin/firefox' it will be pointing at 3.5
As I say I have not experienced the mouse issue so cant help there, though it may be a compiz setting, there are a lot of them Cheesy
Not applicable

Thank you for the explanation re FF 3.5 - I think that I understand it (just). Now that I have removed Iced Tea and the typing backwards thing has ceased to be, I know where the blame lies so will leave FF in its current state until the update comes down via the normal means.
Thanks also for the explanation re Software Manager in Mint.
With regards to the software installation I have found some excellent articles on the Ubuntu site which will help me understand it better.
I do think that the help/support/forum is better for Ubuntu, although much of it is also relevant to Mint bearing in mind different names/places and desktop arrangement.
I will take a look at Compiz - not examined it yet. This morning (so far) the problem hasn't occurred, although all I have done is fired up the browser.
BTW is there anything that I can do to unlock the keyring? I don't use username/password to log in (being the only user) but the network applet in Mint and Ubuntu won't work until I have given it the password. I would like to have it connect straightaway. Sorry for taking advantage and asking so many questions!  Undecided
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

The keyring is a trickier one, if you use autologon, or have no password but have a password on the keyring it will ask for a password to access it.
There were issues with Ubuntu 8.10 and the network manager when using autologin it wouldn't login to a wireless network since it couldn't access the keyring, I don't know if this has changed in 9.04 since I don't use wireless and rarely use the keyring.
Sorry I can't help there, try the Ubuntu/Mint forums on that one.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I use a single space as the password for my user accounts (except root).
You can change your password with the passwd command line command.
[You can even change your root password with sudo passwd .... if you want :)]

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Thanks for advice - have gone back to logging on with username/password as I then don't have to wait for the network manager applet to fire up.
Anyway, another discovery - have got my beloved Spotify to work.
Installed Wine, downloaded the spotify.exe and it  automatically installed it. Am now happily listening to my playlist.
Soon I won't need Windows very much at all with any luck. Thoroughly enjoying the challenge. Thanks for interest and for helping.  Smiley