Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Wireless Printer

Crimson
Grafter

First Wireless Printer

Hello -
I'm awaiting delivery of my first wireless printer - my current non wireless printer is on its last legs.  I'll do my best to follow the instal instructions but, if I get stuck, is is the sort of thing I can ask Plusnet for help on by telephone - the way they help with email set up problems?  The new printer is HP Envy 100 e-All-in-One and I chose it because of its small compact size - I am very short of space.
Am I right in thinking that I should uninstall the current printer (which says default) before I try to install the new wireless one?
My router is Netgear DG834 and my Laptop (notebook) is Toshiba C650.  I'm scared of getting into a right muddle.  Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you

Embarrassed
32 REPLIES 32
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: First Wireless Printer

I wouldn't expect PN CSC to be able to offer support for the printer but the forum here is available and usually willing. Smiley
If you are unlikely to use your old printer again then uninstalling it is acceptable but not necessary as your new printer can be set to be the default printer.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Install a secondary "printer" which will make PDF files for you - this allows all applications to produce a standard file which can transported via email or USB "key" to a computer with a working printer attached.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Nick_Russell
Grafter

A word of caution...
You can only have one connection from a laptop. So, if you WiFi to your printer you will not be able to WiFi to your router.
I found this out the hard way by buying one!  It was for a second home with a couple of laptops.  In the end I had to plug the printer into the laptop with a USB cable (and swap cable between laptops when required).
Of course, an alternative would be a networked printer connected to a WiFi router.
jmd
Grafter

My HP all in one printer is wifi and works well - I use a Dell laptop.  The printer works wifi via the router and is upstairs and the laptop is downstairs.
You may have a slight fiddling about to do to get computer to recognise that it can work with printer wirelessly but once it does it is great.  Follow printer instructions as it has to recognise the router first and then the laptop [well mine did - not sure if your HP one will be same as different model number].
VileReynard
Hero

All wifi must go via the router - you may find that that transferring data from a wifi device to a wifi device will be rather slow.
If one of the devices (either the laptop or a printer) is connected with a wired connection it is likely to work a lot better.

Crimson
Grafter

Thank you everyone.  I'm afraid it confirms how clueless I am.  Nick - re  'So, if you WiFi to your printer you will not be able to WiFi to your router'  Is WiFi exactly the same as 'wireless?'  Please excuse my ignorance.  In my 'mind' I thought that you connected the printer to the laptop (which is wireless) then the printer would also work wirelessly.  See how dim I am??  I'll take my time and follow the instructions.  I think it comes with a disc - and hopefully an easy to follow booklet.
Sometimes I think instructions make assumptions that you understand the terms and I'm afraid I don't.    (e.g. I've only just bought my first USB stick and I had to ask in the shop for advice.)
Delivery is expected this Friday - I'll do my best!
Thank you all, again.
Christina
VileReynard
Hero

If you have a wireless printer, it works wirelessly (without wires) - just plug it into the mains.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Wireless (WiFi) devices often need connecting to a computer using an ethernet (network) cable in order to set up the wireless settings before being used on the WiFi.
Edit: having had a look at the manual for the Envy 100....not in this case Smiley and I can see why they call it 'Envy' Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav
Fixes: 514

I have a wireless HP printer/Scanner/copier purchased last September.
Easily setup without Ethernet cable. At the start it often would lose connectivity and I'd have to reset it but since giving it a static IP address I haven't had any issues.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Nick_Russell
Grafter

Hi again.  I am sure we can get there soon. Don't worry about "stupid" questions - we all have those from time to time.
WiFi is just a term for wireless connection. 
If you have a laptop with built in WiFi or a USB WiFi adapter it will connect wirelessly to your printer.  The problem is how you connect the laptop to the internet.  As far as I know the DG834 is not a WiFi router so if you need to connect your laptop to the internet you will need a cable.  Is this correct?  If so, no problem.
It may be easier to get a more up to date router with WiFi and then you can connect your laptop and printer to the router wirelessly and it would mean you don't have to have the laptop next to the router.
Crimson
Grafter

Thank you ALL - very much. 
Nick -  I use my laptop most of the time connected to the mains but it is wireless.  A wee light flashes on my router to let me know that wireless is on.  I can disconnnect my laptop from the mains cable and it stays on.  I then have to take it to another room where my (non wireless) printer is and connect it with a ??USB cable to the printer.  It does work but as the printer is old and less reliable I decided to replace it.  I managed to 'make it last' until the ink cartridges were low - and that is happening now.
Just once I forgot to connect the lead to the mains after I had been printing and about two hours later it 'broke.'  Of course I quickly learned that the battery had run down and needed to be recharged - see I really am a novice it wasn't broken at all!
Thank you all, once again.
Christine
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: cjcrichton
Nick -   I use my laptop most of the time connected to the mains but it is wireless.   A wee light flashes on my router to let me know that wireless is on.

How do you connect to the internet?  Do you have to plus a cable from your router to the laptop?  I am sure your router DG834 is not wireless.  If this the correct full name?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The router is probably a DG834G which is wireless. It would be interesting to know its version number (eg v4) which is usually shown alongside the model name on the label underneath the router.
David
Crimson
Grafter

Hello Nick and spkaxyt -
The Netgear Router full details are:  DG834G Wireless Modem Router  Item DG834G-3ALUKS Wireless ADSL Router.  I'm afraid it is all beyond me - is thatinformation needed, please?    (I'm a retired (very retired!) nurse) and folks think that medical terminology is confusing!    Give me a  choloydochoduejejunostomy any day!
Thank you.
Christine