cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Line Technical Support - Sky

Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

First Line Technical Support - Sky

I have just got back from setting up a friends Sky Broadband connection - Sky Base up to 2Mb
Setup and setting up the wireless connection was easy and it all worked well
However going into the router I found that the speeds were 1024/256 and the downstream attenuation was 17dB and the noise margin 34dB - obviously he had been put on a 1MB fixed speed.
So phone Sky help and was put through to first line technical.
I explained the problem and of course he had to go through the script - have you any extensions, are you connected to the master socket, is their a test socket , is everything filtered and have you changed the filter to see if that was the problem.
I explained that I was actually very experienced with broadband and that the problem was nothing to do with the wiring but a limit Sky had imposed and  also that the router had only been connected for 20 minutes.
I asked if he understood that with that high a noise margin 8Mb would have been easily attainable never mind 2Mb. He insisted that noise on the line could be a cause of the poor speed at which point I told him he was talking twaddle (I was getting a bit ratty by this time  Shocked) and that with the noise margin and attenuation reported there was no way that the line quality was affecting the speeds. He then asked what errors were being reported - I advised non at all.
Finally after a but more arguing he went and checked and found that they hadn't done DLM check and this would need to be done - I asked how long would this take and suggested 48 hiours  no he replied 3 - 5 days.
Words fail me
8 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: First Line Technical Support - Sky

Quote from: Oldjim
Words fail me

Quite!  Shocked
Not young enough to know everything
scootie
Grafter

surrpised you even got through to sky. they where on watchdog not long ago for keeping there i think tv customers on hold for hours
they probally do this to alot of there customers to keep there network from meltdown. they didnt bargain on a plusnet customer setting one of there lines up tho  Grin
James
Grafter

It generally takes O2 about 2 days to reply to any of my emails.
snozboz
Grafter

Jameseh, are you admitting that your ISP is O2 and not PlusNet?  Did you switch for a lower price?!!  Tongue
</cheap shot>
<realises O2 must be for your mobile phone, probably iPhone>
James
Grafter

Guilty as charged Smiley
I joined O2 about 10 months ago before Plusnet started doing ADSL2+.  Plus I have a mobile contract with them, and yes, an iPhone Smiley
scootie
Grafter

james isnt botherd about his latency as he only play's simpsons on the xbox so a network that is a free for all suits him
James
Grafter

It was an Xmas present I played once Tongue
Community Veteran

I would imagine that several PN staffers have adsl from the competition to see how they perform !
It's called market research .
Don't expect them all to admit it here though !