Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Line Technical Support - Sky

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

First Line Technical Support - Sky

I have just got back from setting up a friends Sky Broadband connection - Sky Base up to 2Mb
Setup and setting up the wireless connection was easy and it all worked well
However going into the router I found that the speeds were 1024/256 and the downstream attenuation was 17dB and the noise margin 34dB - obviously he had been put on a 1MB fixed speed.
So phone Sky help and was put through to first line technical.
I explained the problem and of course he had to go through the script - have you any extensions, are you connected to the master socket, is their a test socket , is everything filtered and have you changed the filter to see if that was the problem.
I explained that I was actually very experienced with broadband and that the problem was nothing to do with the wiring but a limit Sky had imposed and  also that the router had only been connected for 20 minutes.
I asked if he understood that with that high a noise margin 8Mb would have been easily attainable never mind 2Mb. He insisted that noise on the line could be a cause of the poor speed at which point I told him he was talking twaddle (I was getting a bit ratty by this time  🐵 and that with the noise margin and attenuation reported there was no way that the line quality was affecting the speeds. He then asked what errors were being reported - I advised non at all.
Finally after a but more arguing he went and checked and found that they hadn't done DLM check and this would need to be done - I asked how long would this take and suggested 48 hiours  no he replied 3 - 5 days.
Words fail me
8 REPLIES 8
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: First Line Technical Support - Sky

Quote from: Oldjim
Words fail me

Quite!  Shocked
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
scootie
Grafter

surrpised you even got through to sky. they where on watchdog not long ago for keeping there i think tv customers on hold for hours
they probally do this to alot of there customers to keep there network from meltdown. they didnt bargain on a plusnet customer setting one of there lines up tho  Grin
James
Grafter

It generally takes O2 about 2 days to reply to any of my emails.
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Jameseh, are you admitting that your ISP is O2 and not PlusNet?  Did you switch for a lower price?!!  Tongue
</cheap shot>
<realises O2 must be for your mobile phone, probably iPhone>
James
Grafter

Guilty as charged Smiley
I joined O2 about 10 months ago before Plusnet started doing ADSL2+.  Plus I have a mobile contract with them, and yes, an iPhone Smiley
scootie
Grafter

james isnt botherd about his latency as he only play's simpsons on the xbox so a network that is a free for all suits him
James
Grafter

It was an Xmas present I played once Tongue
mal0z
Grafter

I would imagine that several PN staffers have adsl from the competition to see how they perform !
It's called market research .
Don't expect them all to admit it here though !