Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware upgrading

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Firmware upgrading

Excuse what will likely be a naive question Embarrassed Smiley
My Netgear router came with v 4.01.20  firmware but since then versions have been released and are showing on the co's support site.

4.01.28 (for UK)
4.01.30 (for outside NA) Thing is :must I install both of the upgrades to bring my router safely up to date or only one of them?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
3 REPLIES 3
Njal
Grafter

Re: Firmware upgrading

Assuming that you're in the UK - just the UK one!

If you don't need any of the updated features I'd leave it alone:
"New Features - Overview
  1. Added support (DG834Gv3) for Wireless Distribution System (WDS) under the Advanced menu. WDS allows a wireless network to be expanded using access points without needing a wired backbone to connect them. The DG834Gv3 can be configured to connect with other access points as a bridge (with wired clients only) or as a repeater (with wired and/or wireless clients)
  2. Added support (DG834Gv3) for Wi-Fi Multi-Media Power Save (WMM-PS). WMM-PS extends the battery life of Wi-Fi devices by increasing the efficiency and flexibility of data transmission. With WMM-PS, the same amount of data can be transmitted in a shorter time and using fewer frames, while allowing the Wi-Fi device to remain longer in a low-power, "dozing" state. WMM-PS is enabled by default.
  3. Added a firewall configuration option to easily disable Instant Messaging ports which are open by default. To disable Instant Messaging ports go to the Firewall Rules page and check Close IM Ports.
  4. Added support for PPTP client as ADSL encapsulation method as used in Russia. This encapsulation is not automatically detected by the Smart Wizard so must be configured manually on the Basic Settings page.
  5. The manual has been updated and can be accessed by clicking on the Web Support Documentation link when the Router is on-line.
Modifications / Bug Fixes
  1. Removed Trend Micro Security Services (TMSS) support.
  2. Fixed a problem with Dynamic DNS where the IP address would not update when the WAN IP changed.
  3. Fixed AOL Setup CD compatiblity issues."
Regards,
Neil
Walter
Rising Star

Updating is no problem.  I've done it several times.
Get the instructions (fromthe Netgear Site for your router) and print out the required pages.
Must use the ethernet connection, save the existing settings, do the upgrade. No trouble.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

But make sure you download the recovery software BEFORE you upgrade just in case things go wrong (which does happen).