cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall-like symptoms.... or I think it is Firewall-like

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Firewall-like symptoms.... or I think it is Firewall-like

My system is a desktop pc with Win 7, and a Netgear DGN2200v4 DSL modem. I haven't got a hardware firewall, and as far as I know, I haven't got a software firewall either (or have I?).

I have a problem with not being able to edit device names on the modem (at least I haven't found a way yet). Someone in the Netgear Community suggested I should download a desktop genie from Netgear, so with their help I found a Windows genie that is under my modem's details on the Netgear website. However, when I try to download the genie (there is a Download button provided by Netgear) I eventually get a message that the Netgear website hasn't responded in time. As far as I know, I don't have any problems getting at any other websites, just Netgear, and then only the download from it. The person from Netgear has tested that they can download the genie, and they can.

Can anyone suggest where I might have some sort of blockage that might be causing the genie download problem, and how to remove that blockage, please?

Thanks very much

2 REPLIES 2
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Firewall-like symptoms.... or I think it is Firewall-like

could it be an "adblocker"    such as Ghostery, or even Adblocker itself.... maybe a setting on Firefox, if you use that... try it with another browser...

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Re: Firewall-like symptoms.... or I think it is Firewall-like

Hello @shutter .

Thanks for the suggestion. I was using Chrome. I have just tried Edge, but it made no difference.

There was one strange thing I found earlier before I contacted the forum. When I logged into the Netgear website, it stated that I didn't have any Netgear products registered with them, so I went through the process to get my modem added. The registration process responded with a message stating that my modem was already registered with some other person. It didn't give a clue as to who that was (not surprisingly) but as I have had my modem from brand new, that person could be my name with a typo. I have contacted Netgear's customer service about the registration problem, but no reply yet - not surprising as I only sent the message yesterday.

Oh well. Onwards and upwards. Take care