cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall and wireless

Jennieh

Firewall and wireless

I have just installed a dlink router and netgear wireless usb adapter onto my desktop (Vista).
Every 30 minutes Trend micro tells me that a computer is trying to access and asks what I want to do?Huh
I have not the slightest idea!
I also have a laptop (XP with the same security) running from this wireless connection.
We are very rural so is this "attack" from nearby or not please.
I have no idea about wireless, it just seemed a good idea at the time as there is not a phone line near the computer.
Help please
16 REPLIES 16
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Firewall and wireless

Hi
Could you please tell us the full warning you are getting from Trend Micro? i.e. what is trying to access what.
Thanks
Jeff
Jennieh

This is the latest
Jennieh

pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you got wep or wpa password applied on your machine, that address is someone actually logging on to you router, you said you have two machines, these should show up as 192.168.1.1 and 1.2
Jennieh

I have a password on the router-it says that the other computer does not have Trend anti virus but it does have. The laptop is off so I assume I am the 1.1?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont know that router, but in it somewhere is a list of who is logged on, I wouldnt expect you to see another message when you are all ready connected
Jennieh

Sorry, confusing the issue here.
The screen I get from Trend tells me the other computer does not run Trend anti virus.
No idea how to access the router!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

type that 192.168.1.1 into your browser
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

192.168.1.1 is your router and you should allow this.
To access the router you type in IE or firefox in the address bar
http://192.168.1.1
to see what IP you are press Start /  Run / cmd
Then in the black screen type IPCONFIG /ALL your IP will be displayed

Moderators note by James_H : Fixed URL Wink
Not applicable

Quote from: pierre_pierre
have you got wep or wpa password applied on your machine, that address is someone actually logging on to you router, you said you have two machines, these should show up as 192.168.1.1 and 1.2

192.168.1.1 in this case is a D-Link Router Mr Pierre Wink
Jennieh

Tried typing in IPCONFIG /ALL and it just flashes and disappears!
Put the number in the browser and it brings up my router.
Why does it say on the warning it is an unknown computer. I have changed the default password so that should not be a problem.
Have to go for a while but will be back.
Not applicable

Click Start, then Run, the type cmd and press <enter> or click 'run'
When the cmd window appears, type ipconfig /all into that window and press enter.
That will give you the output, and leave it on screen visible.
Jennieh

That worked. Will do it later when I have time to look properly. Thank you.
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: Jennieh
I have a password on the router-it says that the other computer does not have Trend anti virus but it does have. The laptop is off so I assume I am the 1.1?

Your router will normally need a password to access its web interface. The router manual will tell you what the default password is. Any network hijacker worth his salt will know all the default passwords for various routers, so once you have been able to log in you should change the password. If the web interface is any good it should be easy to find how to do that. This should stop anyone being able to log in to change the router settings.
The next thing you need to do is set the wireless options on the router to WPA authentication (assuming the router supports it). You will need to create another password for this. You then go to the network settings on your PCs and tell them to use WPA and enter the chosen password. This means the router will not let anyone access the network unless they know the password.