Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox3 not finding PN home page

chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Firefox3 not finding PN home page

Ok now for a non technical fix.
Boot up, login. Then go make a cup of tea, before opening Firefox.
Just a guess but the DHCP process is not always instant. On my eeePC for example I can boot up and go into Firefox, before the network has connected, wait about 20 seconds, refresh and we're off.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Alternatively, use a static address  Grin Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

chillypenguin
Grafter

But that is like giving in.
MickKi
Grafter

Some routers can take up to a minute to issue a lease and IP address to a LAN client.  Also, Ubuntu takes some time to connect to the network I have noticed.  It's not my distro, so I do not know when in the boot up process the dhcpclient fires up, but I would assume it will only do that after the firewall script has run.  What I'm saying here is, google or look at the Ubuntu forums on how to tweak the start up scripts.  Some of them can be run in parallel to accelerate the boot up.
HTH.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi! Elders & Betters,
Why did we not think of this in the first place???  I must admit to expect that all this high tech (?) gear would leap into action when prodded and am much relieved to find that the cure was so simple. I must be getting too geeky in my old age. I must say that I was not seeing much computer activity on the little lamps below the screen while I was fretting.
Thanks to all concerned, it is a great comfort to know that you do take our problems to heart.
colintivy  🙂