Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Firefox

I see some people tend to stick with earlier versions of firefox, why is this as I assume the security in the most recent version is likely to be the best ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
9 REPLIES 9
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Firefox

i have always used FF no matter what version update i got it  Wink personally i cant stand IE its too ? insecure
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think Firefox 5 or 6 were particularly focussing on adding better security (the main focus appears to be increasing the version number  Tongue ).  As for using earlier versions, only the 3.6 series, with 3.6.20, gets security updates, and that will end eventually.
People either don't like the changes to the user interface, or complain about extensions not being compatible. But you can't "live in the past" (stick with some older version) forever.
I only switched from seamonkey to firefox because at the time, seamonkey wasn't keeping up with the core improvements to firefox, but it is now. Seamonkey 2.3 has the same core as firefox 6, but maintains the classic mozilla user interface.
colintivy
Rising Star

I have installed FF6 on my new laptop (Win7) to avoid IE and have failed to find the method to direct it to the Plus.net as a starting point. My earler versions had a drop down menu allowing the choice of default opening up settings. I know it is early days with this new set-up but I guess that some of you will have sussed this out. Any clues?
Huh
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: colintivy
I .. have failed to find the method to direct it to the Plus.net as a starting point.

The terminology for "starting point" is Home Page.  You can set this under Tools - Options - General
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks RR,
I have eventually found the required procedure, FF6 does not have the usual old Tools icon due to the excess Eye Candy!. But a somewhat buried tutorial spelt it out. ie: type in the required web address in the connect box and wait for the connection to be made. Then drag the icon to the left of the address across to the home icon and drop it. the address is then available when starting up which is what I wanted. I think that you can add more if required, I prefer to select from recent selection of others from the prompt list if required prompt menu.
Experience with older versions of things is a problem when you cannot find the menu item that did what you wanted.
Cheesy
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

That's because the menu bar is off by default.  You need to right click a bit of blank space in the vicinity of where it used to be, then select the option to turn it on.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

A quick way to temporarily display the Menu Bar for a one-off selection is to press the Alt key. However clicking the orange Firefox button provides most of the functions from the Menu bar, though often under differently named items. The Firefox button displays only when the Menu Bar is not permanently selected.
The Firefox button is intended to be a replacement for the Menu Bar taking up less space, however one could argue they've saved space by eliminating the window border which showed the page Title rather then by eliminating a toolbar..
David
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks lads!  You live and learn!
Cheesy
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I hate updates to browsers.. it introduces more bloat and slower loading times.
IE 6 = fast on a modern machine. IE 7 and 8 are sluggish and a pain. Ironically I never liked IE 5 or 5.5 much but IE 4 was very good back in the day.
Chrome is another funny one for updates.. it's updating every other day which i find annoying. C'mon Googsters, get it right in one shot and do one release not small fixes and repairs daily.
FF I gave up on years ago due to memory leaks. Seamonkey is the better alternative and written by the same guys who write FF.. it's slightly different but a lot more stable.
I also use Cometbird.. a superb bit of kit for a browser that few people know about.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!