Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox

FIXED
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Firefox

I know this subject has has been discussed before but the current version of firefox is a pain, compared to older versions.

Have you just continued to use it or moved on to another browser ?

I know there are a number to choose from, what do you use and why ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
13 REPLIES 13
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Firefox

I gave up several months ago, moved to Chromium full time now.
It has some workarounds necessary, but overall I can do 99% of the same things I did using FF. If you don't use things like automatic save folder in FF then you wouldn't even notice it. A nice add on is Redirector, you can re-write urls to change the country etc, e.g. I redirect Amazon US ebook links to the UK site with the same book.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Why is it a pain @gleneagles ?

I've been using it for years, so have gone through all the changes, but still prefer it over any other browser out there.

I admit I also have Pale Moon - an FF derivative - and Internet Explorer, although that's only because I can't really uninstall it without complications.

John
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav
Fixes: 515

I've stayed with FF56 for now as TabMixPlus won't work with the later versions and probably never will.

I understand that Waterfox will allow such add-ons to still work so may give that a try.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

For a start, that pocket nonsense. I don't want that rubbish on my computer.

If you look at some search engines say duckduckgo it has a simple search box without all the additional clutter.

Accepted you may not get as many hits on searches as you do with firefox hence my interest in knowing what others use and why.

Smiley

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@gleneagles When they changed the format or whatever, a few of my favourite "addons" did not work, so I changed my browser to Waterfox  and/or Cyberfox.... pretty much the same... and the current list of bookmarks was easily transferred ... another alternative I use is OPERA  because that has an automatic VPN  (you need to select it first from options I think it is )... and it`s useful for accessing some forren tv stations...

been back on FF now for about 6 weeks, and it seems to be running OK... Never bothered me with those three  ... in the search bar... but  you can "customise" the rest of it by right clicking just outside the search box, click on "Customise" in the drop down menu,  and then drag and drop anything you don`t want.. (including the second search box)

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I use firefox because it works the way i like , as it has done for more than 10years FF59 now Smiley

and as @shutter say customise on right is handy , and i like my saved page links on right , you cant do that with Chrome

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Screen shot from fully up to date Palemoon attached - note the last item!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles wrote:

For a start, that pocket nonsense. I don't want that rubbish on my computer.

You can disable it under about:config in Firefox

If you look at some search engines say duckduckgo it has a simple search box without all the additional clutter.

If Google is set as default search engine on Firefox, unticking everything in New Tab Preferences is as uncluttered as it gets.

Accepted you may not get as many hits on searches as you do with firefox hence my interest in knowing what others use and why.

I'm using Iridium on this Chromebook; default search engine is Qwant. Changing it to Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo or any other is as simple as it is on Firefox. Use whichever you prefer.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Clearly I a missing something here. In the menu I get....

New Tab

New Private tab