cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox

Roberto0151
Grafter

Firefox

Just recently I have found Firefox has  far too often been "not responding" and I'm wondering whether other folk are experiencing this or if it might possibly be something weird  to do with my laptop or the way I use it    Undecided
This has been causing me a lot of annoyance and if anyone has any (polite) thoughts on it I'd be grateful.
10 REPLIES 10
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Firefox

Probably not Firefox itself, but worth trying Chrome (or even Internet Explorer) to check.
If you are using wireless and have the option (for experiment) to use wired to the router, try that to see if things are better.
If you know how, it could be worth changing the DNS so that you use an external one (eg Google's 8.8.8.8) rather than the PlusNet DNS servers.
Roberto0151
Grafter

Thanks for that sjptd.
I've plugged in the ethernet connection and switched the DNS back to Plusnet (it was on Google).
I think I'll skip trying Chrome for now as I have Firefox synced to another machine on which SWMBO is struggling to make sense of computers.
sjptd
Grafter

Another possible issue is extensions.  Often the browser you use most becomes the slowest because of some extension not behaving quite right.
I was really suggesting Chrome or whatever  as a test (to see if it behaved better) rather than as a permanent solution.  But you could also try (as an experiment) launching Firefox without extensions to see if that helped.
Roberto0151
Grafter

Good idea. I'll just hold it for a day or two to see whether there's any improvement.
Roberto0151
Grafter

Just as an update, after I last posted I opened Chrome and that too froze up. So obviously not Firefox.
Then, following five or six weeks of uninterrupted connection, my router lost connection at some time during two nights running. (BT network maintenance maybe) and coincidentally my rather poor download speed went up a couple of notches to ~1.8  Smiley
Since the first overnight loss of connection the "not responding " problem has not recurred and although I haven't the slightest idea why this should be I'll accept it with pleasure !
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

That has been happening to me a few times with the latest releases of Firefox. No obvious reason why - I'd assumed it was something to do with the sites being visited (running scripts etc.).
Razorback
Grafter

At the weekend my wife who is currently in the USA mentioned Firefox was not working on her tablet. When I tried at the same on my tablet using Plusnet fibre connection I found that it was not working either (on any site). Later on the same day it was working okay. Strange!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It might be Plusnet's DNS resolvers...
Try using one from Plusnet and one from Google - 8.8.8.8

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

samuria
Grafter

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i would try ,, Ccleaner , and malwarbytes  first
which Firefox have you got ?? i have 36.03
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .