Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox update ruins everything

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Firefox update ruins everything

Firefox updated itself automatically this morning..... I have lost the use of "Stylish"... and also Xmarks  and probably a couple of other things as well.... How come an " Update " causes so much extra work...  I have tried Waterfox and Palemoon...  

Managed to get Xmarks logged in on Waterfox, but Stylish still doesn `t work... consequently, all my pages have acres of GLARING WHITE SPACE 

Anyone got any suggestions?  ( not really wanting to go and get Chrome installed, as previously people have said it`s quietly scary) ....

18 REPLIES 18
RJM
Rising Star

Re: Firefox update ruins everything

I have been using Opera for some years now and really don't like anything else.

Browsers seem to be quite emotive with people - bit like iOs/Android!

I do have Firefox but, very rarely use it now.

shutter
Community Veteran

Interestingly........

Prior to this "rant"... I had installed  "STYLUS"... ( as a replacement for STYLISH ) but that did not seem to work either.. ....  Just done a "re-boot"   to get rid of something that AVAST chucked up on an install... and  opened "Firefox" browser, instead of WATERFOX ... still the same white space.... so I went to TOOLS...>  Extensions and "enabled" STYLUS again... now the Google search page is back to normal,  and also the Plusnet Green background is back again... ( I had to "install" both of them into STYLUS  on the  initial download/install of Stylus... but they did not work until after the re-boot, methinks...

edit edit edit....

Using STYLUS in WATERFOX... does give the same results... INCLUDING XMARKS working as it should do....

XMARKS is still not working on the latest version of FIrefox though...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Have you looked at Firefox add ons to see if there is a compatible update for FF57 ? @shutter

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shutter
Community Veteran

@rongtw  Yes... but there ain`t one ! ... so I`m sticking with Waterfox for now.... unfortunately, Waterfox is 64 bit and won`t install on my other 10 laptop, which is 32 bit...  so am investigating "CYBERFOX"... to see how that works on there...

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Couldn't agree more with your sentiments, shutter - as a longtime Firefox user, what the Firefox team hoped to achieve by making most extensions unusable with FF57 is a mystery to me.

I've now switched to Chrome and abandoned Firefox - there are extensions available for Chrome which replicate the functions I most valued, so it's their loss!

shutter
Community Veteran

Re my previous.... looking for an alternative 32 bit for Firefox.......

have now got "CYBERFOX" running on my 32 bit 10" laptop,...

and it performs very well... ( do need to go through the settings/options a bit more thoroughly, though.. !... Ghostery, Stylus, ( alternative to Stylish) and Xmarks all working well.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

This is bad news for long time users of FF with extensions that have been since abandoned or left as they were as they just worked. I have got an extension that lets me close tabs of the same domain, left or right of the current tab, blank tabs etc etc... it's very useful... but that isn't going to be compatible anymore as it hasn't been updated in 4 years Sad I also got a proxy extension that looks really bad after the update (they released it early and was quick to give instructions to get the older version working after the backlash from 100's of angry users).

It is entirely possible to keep the older version of FF if you really need to. Mozilla do warn that security patches will not be available if you do not have the latest version... but at least your favourite extensions will still work for now:

From this article: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1141234

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

It may serve as a temporary work around while the extension developers play catchup with the new way that extensions work - they have been given a few months notice and beta versions to develop their extensions on but not everyone has caught up.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Your best bet to keeping compatibility & security updates is to use the Firefox ESR version. That will keep going until July 2018, I have been informed, before the 57 version arrives.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/
That's RPM to you!!
shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

@RPMozley@jaread83   or... change to an "alternative" to firefox.... as previously mentioned.....

Waterfox for 64 bit

Cyberfox for 32 bit

your bookmarks/favourites from Firefox will be kept and transposed over to the alternatives as listed, during the "install process"..

Further EDIT EDIT EDIT...

You will probably find that all your previous Firefox add-ons have migrated to the Waterfox or Cyberfox add-ons/extensions as well...

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@shutter

I've just had the update and also lost use of Stylish, however searching for Stylish in the firefox add-ons and simply re-adding it (Along with re-adding the themes) got it back to normal Thumbs_Up

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
shutter
Community Veteran

@HarryB  I reported to Stylish about it not working... here is their reply..

********************************************************************************************************************************************

Thanks for contacting us.

Please note that we have now updated Stylish for Firefox to a WebExtension compatible version, as per Mozilla’s requirements moving forward.

As part of the upgrade to WebExtension, we had to migrate users’ installed styles to the new version. Most of the styles were successfully migrated, however, unfortunately we could not transfer some user settings in certain instances.

If you updated to the previous version of Stylish (v2.1.1) which was released nearly two weeks ago, all your previous styles are saved, and you can easily access ALL of them (installed, edited and/or created). Just click on the “About this version” link at the top of the extension window. There you will be able to copy the CSS of any style that you had, and easily migrate it to the new version of Stylish. 

If you never upgraded to Stylish v2.1.1, the only method to restore your previously installed styles is to browse and install them manually via userstyles.org 

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding. We did the best we could to make this a smooth transition to a new Mozilla technology standard. 

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

I did go to the Addons... and did a "re-install" after uninstalling the present version.. but it still does not work...
here is a series of pics...
001_800x456.JPG002_800x443.JPG003_741x600.JPG005_725x600.JPG006_800x473.JPG008_800x371.JPG009_800x463.JPG010_800x317.JPG011_800x422.JPG012_800x362.JPG

As you can probably follow the sequences.... yet it still does not work...despite having the latest version (installed after receipt of the email above )..

Doesn`t really matter anymore, cos I am now running STYLUS instead... ( uses same apps as stylish )...  and also using CYBERFOX 32 bit, instead of ff....  so all is well...

incidentally, another reason for changing to CYBERFOX 32 bit was that the "screen grab"  (Lightshot) worked in a totally different way.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I had to re-add the styles as their response advised you.

Stylish1.pngStylish2.PNG

After re-adding the styles they seem to be working for me, however your screenshots show no styles and don't appear to cover trying to re-add them (Unless the error screenshot was when clicking the option button that gives the option for managing styles or creating a new one)

Stylish3.PNG

EDIT:

I have noticed that it's a little buggy.
After posting it doesn't always apply the styles, but a quick F5/refresh has fixed that so far so it's fairly tolerable.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
shutter
Community Veteran

@HarryB The seqence of shots, wass the process I took, after the FF downgrade. showe me maximum whtie space on Google search page... and also on Plusnet forum pages.

I clicked on the S for Stylish... and got the "error " notice.... then I clicke d on the OK  on the subsquent pages,  as anyone would, who wanted to "fix the error"...

But no page actually fixed it... and so I checked the Tools> Addons route, to uninstall, and then re - install Stylish...  moving forward, I then clicked the Stylish icon, to re-install the styles... however, all I get is those same results..

as mentioned. it is purely academic now, as the replacement for FF downgrade and the replacement of Stylish, has solved the problem.

Thanks for you input though.!  Wink

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@shutter Just out of curiosity, is Cyberfox less of a resource hog than FF? I'm asking this as a friend of mine is running a 10 y.o. Dell laptop, and she is finding it very sluggish by midday, even though she is a VERY light user. I'm trying to find her a less hungry browser, and all options are being Smileyexplored.

John