Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox start up problem

colintivy
Rising Star

Firefox start up problem

Hi folks!
I have recently rearranged my Voyager 210 to run off my laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 having used my tower with Win98SE both on Ethernet. I have now experienced a problem where, although the indications on the router and the system tray show that all is working, Firefox initially puts up a "Page load error" and "Address not found",  trying again does not help but, if I disconnect the Ethernet cable and reconnect it, the little symbol on the system tray does its little twiddle and Firefox connects immediately. My guess is that some setting that Windows had from the initial setting up is now missing from the Firefox set up. I cannot find any guidance in the literature to help so far...any bright ideas?Huh
colintivy  Roll_eyes
7 REPLIES 7
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Firefox start up problem

This is a guess - but do you have both a wireless connection and a wired connection?
Perhaps you are connecting to a very weak wireless source?
Have a look at System -> Administration  -> Network
If you need to change anything, enter your password into the box.
I suggest you might like to put this post into the *nix sub-forum.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

not on a 210 he doesnt, no WiFi
VileReynard
Hero

I'm thinking that perhaps he's trying to contact a weak signal from a neighbour.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

possible Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thats one of the benefits of the Linux on the EEepc, you know what i happening,  both with easy screen shots,
Now going back to my proper lap tops with Old Bills system
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jeremy,
Back on line...other things have intervened. No I do not have wireless in any form. I have looked at Network details, some of it makes sense. I know that some of the Plus addresses are now not what were used at my initial setting up the Win98SE system. The setting up PPPoE page in the help file is not helpful since sudo pppoeconf says that I have an Ethernet connection but then departs from the text. It would appear that when I reconnect and the network ikon twiddles and stops showing a connection Firefox gets the settings from the router which it did not have at power up to start with. Ubuntu forum has, so far, been silent on the matter. A quick rundown on what I ought to be seeing on the various listings that are available to me would be helpful. I am awaiting nice new books on Ubuntu right now but Amazon only hopes to deliver later this week.
VileReynard
Hero

I don't know if it's an option for you, but I went for static IP addresses; this way I don't need to rely on DHCP in my router.
I'm on a wireless only connection, so I've ruthlessly deleted any mention of ethernet.
Have you seen http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/setting-up-an-network-interfaces-file/ on how to setup /etc/network/interfaces?