Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox oddity - process doesn't stop

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Firefox oddity - process doesn't stop

I have had a few incidents recently where closing the Firefox browser doesn't stop the process firefox.exe *32 and I just had it again but this time I saw the reason
I had closed the browser but it left behind a popup window - a picture loaded onto this forum.
Closing this window didn't stop the process
Does anyone else see this
Note opening Firefox again didn't start a second instance of the process but closing it didn't stop the original process
6 REPLIES 6
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Firefox oddity - process doesn't stop

No mine shuts down totally ,, FF34
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Oldjim
I had closed the browser but it left behind a popup window - a picture loaded onto this forum.

If you revisit the page with that picture on it, does it cause the close browser to hang again ?

I am intrigued because I have occasionally had this problem, but never had pop-up remaining, and assumed it was related to the spurious TCP packets from the wrong community server or load-balancer - that until recently caused the forum to frequently hang.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

tried again a couple of times and I can't make it do it - damn that is one theory go bust
Must be related to the addons container as that is what the error message says when I close the process
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I have seen reports of a known problem with MS Windows versions of Firefox - but don't know if it has been fixed. For unknown reasons, a "zombie" process sometimes remains if you don't use the "file->exit" menu option (or shortcut) but the "close window" button on the title bar.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Sounds like poorly written software!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Could be - but it seems to only affect the MS Windows version, which uses the MS Windows API Wink
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.