cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox icon

Not applicable

Firefox icon

Here's a conundrum:  When I save a web page in Firefox the icon is just the one like a sheet of paper with the corner folded over i.e. there is no Firefox globe on it.  I exported my bookmarks for backup purposes and the same thing happened.
Oddly enough the correct icon does appear/is visible when the dialogue box comes up (as it does when you are saving something into Documents).  Hope that this is clear.  Have googled it and there is something about deleting the icon cash but not sure about this.
Only happens on my Windows 7 laptop.  Any ideas please?
4 REPLIES 4
barky
Grafter

Re: Firefox icon

seems like you haven't got firefox selected as default browser
OR
maybe not default program to open html files, right click on the folded corner icon, select open with, and go down to 'select default program' & click again - next screen should show a number of options -- select firefox & make sure small box in bottom left is ticked & click on OK button
Not applicable

Thanks for trying to help but FF is selected as the default handler for html files.  If I change the association to IE as default handler the icon displays correctly - it just does not work with Firefox.  The odd thing is that when the association is changed the tick box Always Use the Selected Programme is greyed out.  The other odd thing is that the FF icon displays quite normally via the dialogue box that appears when you select Save As......
This is a known problem and I have tried to rebuilt the icon cache with no effect.
Am wondering if a complete uninstall of FF might do the trick.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

If you're not too heavily dependent on add-ons then you might want to install the Firefox 4 beta and give that a whirl. I've been using it for a while now, both at home and work and I like it a lot. The tab panorama and app-tab features are great.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Not applicable

Thank you for that Bob.  Just done a proper uninstall of Firefox with Revo Uninstaller, taking everything off.
Reinstalled it, gone back into Default Programmes and placed ticks in htm and html boxes - all OK now. Should have done it in the first place I suppose.
Now to put my addons on again - happily we still have XMarks so at least my bookmarks list will be sorted quickly.