cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox crashing

Not applicable

Firefox crashing

I have noticed that when I sign out of my gmail account FF crashes - the message is something about Data Execution Prevention (DEP). It is happening on both laptops (Vista Basic and Vista Business) and only happens when logging out of gmail.
Has only occurred since yesterday. Can anyone shed any light on this please?
10 REPLIES 10
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Firefox crashing

Does it still happen if you disable all the ad-ons?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Start > Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)
Try launching Firefox that way and see if the same happens (that should start it with all of your add-ons disabled).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Not applicable

Thank you for the replies. Followed instructions and on the Vista Basic it was OK with addons disabled - no crash.
However, on the other one it still crashes, even with everything restored to default.
I made some adjustments in gmail settings last night so I am wondering if it could be anything to do with that.
I will go back and undo them, meanwhile, any other suggestions are most welcome.
Not applicable

Changed the settings back - no difference. Now running with no add-ons but it is still crashing. Would an uninstall and re-install make any difference please?
barky
Grafter

have you tried deleting all the cookies yet?
has solved firefox crash problems for me in the past
I usually just forward all my gmail to an ol' fashioned email program - prefer to have a message store i can back up locally
Not applicable

Suggestion is welcome - however, I have FF set to delete data on exit so no cookies are retained.
I usually use Squirrelmail so gmail is just an extra for odd things and if the PN system is down.
However, you are probably wise to make your own arrangements for e-mail and back up because I just found out today that PN don't have backups of folders in Squirrelmail.
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: barky
I usually just forward all my gmail to an ol' fashioned email program - prefer to have a message store i can back up locally

If you prefer to use your email client you can set up gmail to work in your email client with POP3 or Imap.
There are configuration guides in the Gmail settings/Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
Not applicable

I used to have it configured for POP3 when I had AVG although it was a bit tricky with Windows Mail and AVG8. Now I don't bother because I use Avast which doesn't work with SSL (although I understand that the next V5 will). Also, it is only an extra address for signing up for things.
It's really puzzling so will have to open it with IE for the time being. I am suspecting that it might be a glitch.
barky
Grafter

maybe use ie tab https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419 for gmail ?? -- works as long as you are on a windows pc
me? I use Thunderbird for most emails - extremely simple to add a gmail to that
Not applicable

Just an update - all OK now. It turned out to be due to a Google plug in that I had uninstalled - it was still enabled in Firefox.  Once disabled, everything went back to normal.