Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox certificate

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Firefox certificate

Since the Firefox update earlier today to v58 I can no longer access the browser. The Firefox error report is that plus.net has configured their website incorrectly. Further information:

community.plus.net uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates. An additional root certificate may need to be imported.

Firefox blames Plusnet. I suspect PN is going to blame Firefox. In the meantime how do I get Firefox working again?

Currently using Chrome for this post.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES 13
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Firefox certificate

I got FF 58 this morning @petlew  and had no problems ?   Plusnets security is GoDaddy Funny

have a read here , may help https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Non-Secure-connection-warning-message/...

Capture.PNG

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Not much help, I know, @petlew, but I am running FF58.0 (64bit) on a W7 lappy, and have no problems.

I think there is an option on that Firefox screen to allow an exception - I had to do one for a Sainsburys card link a while back on v56.

John
petlew
Pro

Just tried to plough through the myriad of information in jab1's post (thank you) so far there are too many interruptions here at home to really concentrate on it sufficiently. I'll get to it later on.

However, just out of curiosity In tried the FF health report in the Help tab, and got the same insecure result for Mozilla.

I thought that returning to an earlier version of FF might be worth a try, but can't find the option to do that now. But if it still exists can I stop the v58 installing automatically.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jab1
Legend

Did you mean @rongtw's post?

FYI - just tried the 'health report' and it worked perfectly, so my money is on a problem local to you. I haven't looked at rongtw's link, but if it is the one I think, it may get you going.

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@petlew  I had a similar problem witht Nationwide..

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Non-Secure-connection-warning-message/...

in the end, it turns out that some certificate was "wrong"... and @Anonymous sent me an email attachment from his certificate which I then copied in.... so it seems like the certificate for PlusNet has got corrupted on your Firefox and needs to be replaced

PS... if you are desperate... use Internet Explorer...

petlew
Pro

As a matter of fact for the last hour or so I've been using Chrome, something I had for website building and FF couldn't work with it (the web builder is optimised for Chrome and excludes full use in FF amongst others) and I have to admit to be getting on ok with it, except I would like to export the FF bookmarks. I can find bookmark import in Chrome but not export in FF, any help please?.

If I can get the bookmarks over I might just ditch FF altogether. Something I'd thought about periodically but just didn't want the hassle, So now I have the excuse I was looking for.

jab1
Legend

petlew
Pro

Thanks jab1, that took all of 30 seconds.

So now the dilemma, do I switch over or not and try to sort out FF (see my sig)

I know a lot of members here like Chrome, any pros and cons thoughts would be gratefully accepted. Its just that I been with Mozilla since the Navigator days, it would be a wrench.

Incidentally not unexpectedly Thunderbird continues to work just fine, but this shouldn't be affected by the current FF issue. 

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I don't think my FF updates automatically (probably some setting I ticked at some point) I just get a reminder popping up letting me know an update is available.

Since about version 57 they've tried to make it look like Microsoft Edge, which I don't like.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@petlew wrote:

Thanks jab1, that took all of 30 seconds.

So now the dilemma, do I switch over or not and try to sort out FF (see my sig)

I know a lot of members here like Chrome, any pros and cons thoughts would be gratefully accepted. Its just that I been with Mozilla since the Navigator days, it would be a wrench.

Incidentally not unexpectedly Thunderbird continues to work just fine, but this shouldn't be affected by the current FF issue. 

I suppose it depends, really, on how you use, (if any) Firefox Addons... that are not available, or in a similar type , on Chrome....

I have read, I think it was on this forum, that Chrome is quite bullish about tracking your use... and possible uses it for "other means".... although I`m not an expert on theses things...  someone will put me in my place, I am sure ! ! ! ..

petlew
Pro

Yes jonpe, everything else in Firefox works, so I can access all my settings etc and importantly, my saved logins and passwords etc. whilst in tools/options I also found the switch to switch off automatic updates. Which I have switched off now.

Strangely, I can access all the bookmarked websites, but they don't load any images photo's etc. whether I included them (in my website) or they are part of any other website. You Tube clips won't run.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

petlew
Pro

I thought I would return to this after using Chrome for around a week.

I never did sort out the problem with Firefox see O/P, didn't try, not got tangled up with it.

I have to admit I actually quite like Chrome and haven't really missed Firefox at all. My FF bookmarks imported seamlessly, although they do sit in a folder on the bookmarks bar rather than a FF like sidebar, requiring two clicks to open rather than one, three if inside a folder., there is an extension available to set Chrome with a bookmark side bar but so far I haven't bothered with it.

Those with long memories may remember that I posted in this forum some time ago about startup problems with Chrome, this seemed to cure itself with one or both of the major Windows updates. However, in the last day or so this startup failure returned accompanied with error messages related to the Trusteer Rapport banking security app. Since in Chrome I found the Kaspersky "Safe Money" worked perfectly (it didn't in Firefox), I uninstalled Rapport, this immediately cured the Chrome startup, which now starts much faster than it ever did with Rapport installed.

I have found (without Rapport) Chrome much quicker than Firefox, eventually I took the final step and completely uninstalled Firefox, something I didn't really think I would ever do.