Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox Update has borked all my favourite addons

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Firefox Update has borked all my favourite addons

GRrrr..... Firefox.... gonna ditch you as my browser.... you just borked all my favourite addons, because according to the  "Flash" message... they don`t meet your standards.... strange how they DID until this update... what a load of nonsense... 

34 REPLIES 34
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Firefox Update has borked all my favourite addons

It's fixable.

Use about:config to set xpinstall.signatures.required to false.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard  Please elucidate....  HuhUndecidedHuh

VileReynard
Hero

In the URL bar type about:config <enter>

Accept the "here be Dragons warning"

Put xpinstall.signatures.required into the search bar <enter>
Change the boolean value on xpinstall.signatures.required from True to False (using the toggle value via right-click menu)

Restart firefox (possibly)

All this does is bypass the signature signing that firefox have suddenly required for all extensions.

So its kind of temporary? Roll_eyes

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Put this in your URL about:preferences#privacy

Go down to Firefox data collection and use

Tick top box (which auto ticks 2nd and 3rd)

Load this page too about:studies

Make a brew

Hit F5 on last tab (studies) until 3 active studies are installed.

Turn off the tick in studies (though they are enabled if you left FF in it's default configuration)

Job done

(Mozilla are sending the 'fix' using the normal methods, or they're using the studies function if you want it sooner).

fwiw, took me 20 mins of waiting.

edit to correct 2 typos.

VileReynard
Hero

I don't let Firefox collect my data & I wouldn't participate in their studies so changing a single line in about:config is much easier.

Firefox were blocking my adblocker!!!

So I needed to fix it before I got loads of fresh tracking info stashed away on the interweb.

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   Thanks for the elucidation !.... did that.... restarted Firefox... went to "Extensions" and searched for "STYLUS"  ( to change the background colour on here and google search page)...

click on "Install" button,... get a red warning..." Download failed,... check your internet connection" 

So. I went back to the extensions page, and "removed" all the (now) useless things that FF thinks I dont need anymore... and tried again... got the same warning message...

Seems that FF has put a block on those that don`t fit in...

shutter
Community Veteran

@DS   From your version.... ( Thanks, also for your input )... you say....

Mozilla are sending the 'fix' using the normal methods, ( presumably another update  ? )

So, it will be a couple of weeks, and all back to normal? ? ?   Just gotta wait .........  ?

shutter
Community Veteran

To pass the time... been searching  " alternative to Firefox"... that would enable me to use the extensions/addons I am not allowe to at present !..

Apart from the obvious "clone" versions   Waterfox ,... Cybefox.... ( that also have the same illness Firefox has ). I only found one.... that MAY be of use... it is called

K-MELEON

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/

The info on that page.... seems to suggest that the "latest version " was issued in 2015.... which seems a long long long time ago, especially in the world of Internet browser updates...  Although on the forum pages, it seems there is still some users reporting back,... last was dated 13 June 2018 !..

Risky  ?  or what  ? ?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter - If you can't or don't want to wait, install WaterFox instead, you'll then be able to import all of your settings from your Firefox browser and install your addons of choice.

If you were using Adblock Plus you can get it from here.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous  Thanks.... but I already tried that... and as it`s "firefox" in disguise.... it does the same thing ... unfortunately... !

Anonymous
Not applicable

It works for me @shutter 

WaterFox

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous   Have re-installed it.... BUT... although it shows the addons I used to have with FF,  Still waiting for the GOOGLE search page to complete... 40 mins and still waiting... ! .

Tried to use STYLUS and search for my favourite goole background ( Black Google  by Panos )... although I clicked on INSTALL... it`s still waiting to install...

Cry

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to admit WaterFox is no where near as fast as FireFox, but clearly there must be something else wrong @shutter but what it is I don't know. All I can suggest is a restart of WF to see if that helps. You might also want to check TaskManager to ensure there are no dangling processes of FireFox or WaterFox.

A right click on the menu bar at the bottom of the screen (where the Start button / Menu is) and you can get to the TaskManager from there.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous   Yeah... done all that.. . Waterfox, is not usually slow... ! .. had problems with trying to get STYLUS or STYLISH to run the style change we wrote !  ( and Black Google ) ... just keep on that revolving thingy running all the time...

same thing with PALE MOON...

Saw a mention that the problem was a "Bug in Firefox"... about13 hours ago... then someone else responded 12 hours ago the same thing... someone else 7 hours ago, said it was now working...BUT ... not for me... still not able to download or install the addons.

so it looks like a bit of a wait, for it all to happen again...