Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox - Privacy Badger

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Firefox - Privacy Badger

I've got add-ons like Adblock, No script etc but have found recently it is rather obvious that some sites are tracking me. i.e. I was looking at an electric bike and god knows how many sites I've been on since and guess what pops up - that bike.

So browsing the add-ons for Firefox I came across Privacy Badger. Supposedly blocks such misuse. Went on CNN and it said there were 22 trackers....and that was only on the first page. Anyway Firefox hasn't fallen over, neither has CNN. I've whiteboarded sites I need, like banking etc. The reviews seem to be positive but I just wondered if anyone had been using it and does it work - longer term?

Cheers

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Firefox - Privacy Badger

@idonno I am using Firefox 67.0 and it now supports the blocking of Cryptominers an Fingerprinters (Preferences / Privacy and Security) so may well be worth an upgrade for you and might save you installing another Add on.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

There is also the 'do not track me' option in the same tab - I've been using it since it came out a few versions ago.

John
idonno
Champion

@Anonymous Already got V67 (got V69 nightly as well Cheesy) but thanks for the heads up. I see the default is private windows only. I've changed it now but hey oh, there doesn't seem to be any performance hit with them all on. No doubt the laptop might scream though as its a slower machine and I'll see how it goes with just the FF one enabled on that.

I see though, even with FF own blocker enabled, PB says there are 'potentially' 7 trackers on this page alone......... 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@idonno Does it tell you what these trackers might be? As one has to ask what Plusnet / Lithium are snooping at.

idonno
Champion

@Anonymous wrote: Does it tell you what these trackers might be?

It does indeed. No mysteries with it. I've scrolled on down a bit to show it all i.e. Red / Amber / Green sections. No doubt some are to do to keep track of where you've come from on the Plusnet website. Its not actually Plusnet that bothers me but the likes of CNN. When they start following me around, it gets a little bit creepy. Like having someone looking over your shoulder as you surf. I even went to a news organisation in the UK and got the same thing there. That bike (mentioned above) popped up in their ads as well (had to enable ads to read the site) and that really did annoy me. Same with those websites that as you go to click back etc pop up rubbish. Adblock, No script do a good job but sometimes they just break a site

Hence going off to see if there was something better.

badger.jpg

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Don't use Google.

Do use DuckDuckGo - which also supplies a tracker blocker.

It may take some time before the info tracked against you becomes too stale to sell to advertisers.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

To add to @VileReynard's post above I have this in my Firefox toolbar.

https://start.duckduckgo.com/

Oh and I'd never use Bing either there's something about it that I just don't trust.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

In many cases your past history is of no use to advertisers.  For example when I wanted to pay my TV licence I searched for the TV Licensing site and thereafter got lots of advertisements from them encouraging me to buy a TV licence (it's something you only do once a year).  The same happened when I was searching for the cheapest way to renew the subscription for my preferred security software at new year; I'm still getting adverts offering me said software, and at a higher price than I paid, (again this is something I only resubscribe to every three years).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using ABP in Firefox I'm lucky enough not to get poisoned by adverts and this is something I've yet to (and no doubt will) experience.

jab1
Legend

@Jonpe Ads? What's them?Wink. I hardly ever see them, thanks to a certain (legal) program on my laptop, and ignore any that appear if a site fails to function with the program running. There are VERY few, that I use, that fall into this category, and for those, my future enquiries are usually directed elsewhere - if possible.

John
VileReynard
Hero

Do tell...

jab1
Legend

uBlock, @VileReynard - I'm sure you know it?Wink

John
VileReynard
Hero

Is that the same as "uBlock Origin" which I use?

I additionally use "DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials".

I have a few approved sites that I whitelist as they don't go overboard with adverts plus they need the advertising income.

jab1
Legend

It is, hence my comment that you would know it.Wink

For where I go, it is all I really need.

John