Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox Issue

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Firefox Issue

I'm running Firefox 62.0 (64-bit) in Windows 10.

I visit quite a few https sites with no problems most times.

However I occasionally get this message...

Secure connection failure.JPG

No matter what I do like 'Refresh', 'Shift Refresh', 'Ctrl F5' it persists.

These are sites I have visited before with no problems such as https://www.tp-link.com even as little as 2 minutes before.

I'm seriously considering a change of browser.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Firefox Issue

Strange one, that. @Strat. I currently (and permanently) have four https sites on my FF62.0 (x64) and have never seen that, so far as I recall. Tried your tp-link.com link, and got it first time with no problem. NOTE: I'm using W7HP, though.

John
Strat
Community Veteran

Yes @jab1 it is curious.

I was editing my password on the TP-Link Forum site, went to check an email they sent me and couldn't get back in.

This is not a password thing as tp-link.com is not password protected as you found.

I opened up MS Edge and did what I needed to do with no problems.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've encountered the same problem once or twice with Firefox (60.2.0)

The permanent "fix" in each case is to delete the relevant cookies, but I wonder if the real cause is cache related?

Tried your tp-link.com link and all is well.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Strat
Community Veteran

Deleted relevant cookies and I'm back in. Huh

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Strat  The "obvious" is not necessarily what is causing the problem....   i.e.  it may not be Firefox.

I have had this several times, and it could be that your router has done a "seemless" switch, to a neighbour`s unsecure wifi... such as BTFon...   which has a lower signal level, than your router can use.

So... before switching browser, next time... have a look at your actual "connection" on the icon on the bottom task bar. Double check that your connection...

Obviously,.. if you are using a wired connection to your router , this may not be the answer ! ! .

Strat
Community Veteran

Good suggestion @shutter but I am hard wired to the router.

My Firefox installation is a bit flaky. When I go into 'Options', the page is very sparsely populated to the point that I have memorised some of the more 'used' options as there is no text to guide me.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Strat  go to the firefox download page, and do a new download... and re-install... may help !

Strat
Community Veteran

I tried that recently @shutter but I think a total clear-out of all related files and folders is required.

Then a fresh install.

CharlieBV
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Hey there,

I am sorry to hear that you are having some issue with your Firefox browser. Firefox isn't really a good browser to use these days, would recommend google chrome. 

I have a couple of suggestions that you might need to look into it :

- Check your security software if it is not something like firewalls, anti-virus programs, or anti-spyware that are blocking the access to any websites. 

- Make sure that the system time is correct, sometimes Firefox can not validate the website's security certificate if the date and time is incorrect.

- You can possibly do a flush on your DNS cache, because sometimes it causes your browser to have difficulties to find some websites. in order to do the process do : Windows + R ---> Type CMD and press the button ''enter'' ----> then type ipconfig/flushdns then press ''enter''.

Hopefully that helps, if not, I will surely find more ways for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Strat With the site working after you reset the cookies the implication there, to me at least, is that there may well have been a dangling session and clearing the cookies has reset it. Some sites make an assumption that you’ll not leave the page until you have completed the task to hand, so when the page loses focus (i.e. you move outside of the browser or to another tab) code can execute that may well have poisoned your session.

You can of course dis/prove this by trying the same actions again.

@CharlieBV Can I ask you to explain your comments as regards Firefox?

CharlieBV
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Had a couple of issues with Firefox similar to it so I switched to Chrome. 

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I find that Firefox is excellent so I've stayed with Firefox.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with you @VileReynard, I can't see past it myself, I only Thumbs_Up Charlie's post as he took the time to reply.

Some may think I am be being a bit tinfoil hat here but I have always had suspicions about Google's motivation to provide a browser to Joe Public, considering the market they are in I suspect it is done so for no other reason but to gather data.

shutter
Community Veteran

As @Anonymous & @VileReynard have already stated....Firefox is an excellent browser... Chrome by Google, harvests more information about you, than you would expect..  Several "techy" type publications have warned against using it... but... it`s like all stuff "techy".... the "gotta have the latest up to datest" it`s not necessarily the best thing to be doing...

e.g.  why do so many people, ( more than 40% of the world users) still use Windows 7 compared to a lesser number using Windows 10 ?  ( can`t remember where I saw that... but it was in the news a few days ago) ...

The "problem" that @Strat has come up against, is not necessarily Firefox problem,... although, the "first thoughts and impressions" may be directed at it.

See previous posts and solutions,.... even if it were, a Firefox problem, it is not unsurmountable, enough to condemn the browser completely.