cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 3.5

Not applicable

Firefox 3.5

Just going back to the Firefox update (from previous thread). Now it has been downloaded as an update (last night). However, on Help it says I am still on 3.0.11 so please can someone tell me if I need to do anything to complete the update? Tried the terminal command but couldn't get it to work - wouldn't take password.
This installation is the Ubuntu one.
18 REPLIES 18
mal0z
Grafter

Re: Firefox 3.5

I found the auto update would not upgrade to 3.5, I had to go to the Mozilla site and download 3.5. - on Windoze XP & Vista
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Update worked for me on XP (two PCs)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

worked on my win and mac PCs OK
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Waldo
Grafter

Presumably you have two versions of Firefox installed. What is the output from                                            [1]
$ ls -l /usr/bin | grep firefox 

Something else worth trying (I'm not sure if Ubuntu uses it or if it's Debian specific)
 $ sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser 

This should give you a rudimentary menu allowing you to set the preference for your browser of choice.
From the information so far it sounds as though the Ubuntu developers have added FF 3.5 to the Ubuntu repos but not yet amended all the dependencies which would allow the previous release to be removed without taking other parts of the system with it (you have tried to install the earlier release?)
If you just want to take FF 3.5 for a spin you can launch it from the command line, add it to the GNOME menu or add a launcher to the GNOME panel (based on the output from [1] above.     
Not applicable

Waldo - thank you for your help. Here is the output from the first command:
$ ls -l /usr/bin | grep firefox
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root         11 2009-06-20 18:35 abrowser -> firefox-3.0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root         11 2009-06-20 18:35 abrowser-3.0 -> firefox-3.0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root         11 2009-07-08 21:21 abrowser-3.5 -> firefox-3.5
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root         11 2009-06-20 18:35 firefox -> firefox-3.0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root         32 2009-06-20 18:35 firefox-3.0 -> ../lib/firefox-3.0.11/firefox.sh
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root         29 2009-07-08 21:21 firefox-3.5 -> ../lib/firefox-3.5/firefox.sh
and here is the one for the second command:
$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
[sudo] password for xxx:
There are 2 alternatives which provide `x-www-browser'.
  Selection    Alternative
-----------------------------------------------
*+        1    /usr/bin/firefox-3.0
          2    /usr/bin/firefox-3.5
Press enter to keep the default
  • , or type selection number: 2
    Using '/usr/bin/firefox-3.5' to provide 'x-www-browser'.
    So what you have said is correct. I selected '2' and pressed enter but it hasn't changed the browser version, even after reboot. Am I doing something wrong?
    BTW can you just remind me how to get the vertical line (i.e. which key combinations)? I have had it before but can't recall what I did.
  • artmo
    Aspiring Champion

Upgrade worked fine for me after I restarted the browser.  Can't say I can see much difference with the earlier version.
    Not applicable

Have done something else and now managed to get Shiretoko which is Firefox 3.5 (beta version?). Glad yours updated OK artmo - makes me wonder what I did wrong.
    Not applicable

Looked things up and it appears that what I have is what you get! Shiretoko (or Browse the Bleeding Edge) is Firefox 3.5 unbranded. It would seem that 3.0 stays in the repository and that 3.5 does not replace it.
    According to what I've read it will be branded in the next version of Ubuntu.
    pierre_pierre
    Grafter

| on mine its shift Fn Z
    Not applicable

Thanks for that Pierre - just come out from the recesses of my addled brain and found it. On mine it's Alt~Gr and |.
    Shall have to write it down somewhere but I should probably forget where I have put the bit of paper!
    Waldo
    Grafter

Quote from: poppy
    Am I doing something wrong?

[me=Waldo]makes mental note to engage brain before keyboard[/me]
    Yes, you're assuming I know what I'm talking about  Embarrassed
    I was barking up the wrong tree with that one (or just plain barking...)
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root        11 2009-06-20 18:35 firefox -> firefox-3.0
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root        32 2009-06-20 18:35 firefox-3.0 -> ../lib/firefox-3.0.11/firefox.sh
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root        29 2009-07-08 21:21 firefox-3.5 -> ../lib/firefox-3.5/firefox.sh

What you really want is to change the firefox -> firefox 3.0 symlink to a firefox -> firefox-3.5 symlink.
    Bearing in mind the above are in /usr/bin:
    $ sudo ln -sf /usr/bin/firefox-3.5 /usr/bin/firefox

where ln -s creates the soft (symbolic) link and -f forcibly removes the existing link (and, yes, it does look a bit back-to-front).

BTW can you just remind me how to get the vertical line (i.e. which key combinations)? I have had it before but can't recall what I did.

I use AltGr & \ (backslash); for a permanent reminder:
    $ echo "AltGr & \ = |" > useful_keystrokes.txt

pierre_pierre
    Grafter

OK then can you bark a bit louder, this machine is an Eeepc 701 4G on linux, it comes pre installed with FF 2.0,  I have auto upgraded several program on it, but so far no offer from them on FF.
    Recently on normal shut down FF is reporting abnormal shut down and asking me to send in a report, I am starting to get annoyed.
    Bearing in mind the severe lack of space, how or can I put on FF3.5
    dvorak
    Fixes: 1,483

Here is a starting point http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=67903...
    Customer / Moderator
    If it helped click the thumb
    If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
    pierre_pierre
    Grafter

ta reading it looks OK will give it a try when back home from baby sitting 93 year old mum