cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FireFox Passwords

Mav
Fixes: 515

FireFox Passwords

For some reason a website's password got altered and each attempt to enter the correct password allowed me to enter the website but no update password request from FF.
I decided to go to Options > Security and delete the password completely in the home that I would get the usual request to add the password (can't remember the correct wording). But this hasn't worked.
The site has several different sections with separate passwords for each and the others work as expected. How do I go about re-adding the correct login details so they are saved for next time?
Thanks.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10 REPLIES 10
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: FireFox Passwords

wierd FF normally ask me if  i want to update a pasword if i type it wrong  Huh
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Use the Unhide passwords addon.
You can view and change existing passwords.
Use with care - I keep the addon disabled nearly all the time.  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Razer
Grafter

You don't need a separate addon to view your FF passwords. You simply click Tools/Options/Security/Saved Passwords/Show Passwords. This is too late for Mav, either way.
Mav, I can only suggest you check that you haven't inadvertently set FF not to remember any new passwords for the site: Tools/Options/Security/Exceptions. Also check when you click on the page where you input your password that there is no redirect block message bar appearing at the top. Sometimes with website password pages I get this and the correct password input will not appear properly unless I allow this redirect.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Razer
You don't need a separate addon to view your FF passwords. You simply click Tools/Options/Security/Saved Passwords/Show Passwords.

Which is exactly why I set a master password!  Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Mav

Mav, I can only suggest you check that you haven't inadvertently set FF not to remember any new passwords for the site: Tools/Options/Security/Exceptions.

One of the first things I checked.
Also check when you click on the page where you input your password that there is no redirect block message bar appearing at the top. Sometimes with website password pages I get this and the correct password input will not appear properly unless I allow this redirect.

No message whatsoever.
Most sites I wouldn't be bothered as I know the login details and could just enter them but I have a mental block with this one so have to look it up each time Cheesy

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Which is exactly why I set a master password!  Wink

Me too. Woe betide should I ever forget my master password!
Mav, it's a bit difficult to know what's going on, especially if other, automatic password inputs for the same site still work. I have experienced this a few times over the years of using FF/SeaMonkey/TheOtherNameItWasCalledBefore and it's always corrected itself after a day or two.
I was going to ask if you were running 'NoScript', but it wouldn't seem to apply anyway. The only thing I could suggest is to copy down all your passwords for the same site, make a backup of your FF configuration, and then delete all the passwords for the site from FF and start again to see if you get the prompts. If it then doesn't work for any, you can simply reinstate the password backup files. You'd need to browse to your profiles folder and backup both the key3.db and signons.sqlite files.
Mav

Thanks for your input, Razer.
To be honest, it's a slight inconvenience but not worth the efforts you outlined at this point.
Maybe it will correct itself after a few days but, for now, I'll leave be.

Razer
Grafter

OK. I hope it sorts itself out for you soon enough. For possible future reference, I've sought out a KB article that could help you out.
Mav

Strangely the ID now appears in the drop down list again but with a wrong password.
From your link I read about the Saved Password Editor add-on that has good reviews so installed that and have been able to change the password and all's well now. Thanks.

Razer
Grafter

Oh good!