Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding mobile phone MAC address

FIXED
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Finding mobile phone MAC address

I have an old Sony mobile phone (Xperia J) which I just use for Strava so that I can measure my runs when I go out running cross-country. It was okay up until last August when I injured myself, which put me out of running for 4 months. Since I recovered, I haven't been able to connect this phone via the wireless link to my pc. My modem is a Netgear N300 which seems to disallow any previously allowed connected device if it hasn't connected for some time. I am trying to identify if my modem is seeing this phone. What makes this a bit difficult is that the modem doesn't seem to allow me to give an alias to a connected device so that I can give it an understandable id (eg Freds phone). It does include each device's MAC Address. Therefore, I am trying to find out how to find out the MAC Address of this phone. Any suggestions please?

Thanks

PS If anyone knows how to use an alias in my modem (see above) I'd be grateful for that too. Ta

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Finding mobile phone MAC address

Fix

@penneck I don't know anything about android phones, but on my iPhone 5 the mac address is shown under : settings>general>about. as 'Wi-fi address'

John
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thankyou jab1. As a result of your answer, I have found the phone MAC Address - it was buried a long way in - and I have been able to confirm the modem is allowing it to connect. Therefore, my problem must be with Strava, so modifying the subject a little, does anyone know why Strava works okay on my phone, but wont sync via the wireless network, please? Strava weren't any help when I contacted them

jab1
Legend

Glad to have part-sorted your problem, @penneck - but as I don't even know what Strava is, I can't help any further, sorry.

John
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Well you got me further forward than I got by myself.

For what it is worth, Strava is an app that I put on the phone, which uses the GPS to track my position, and give me the distance travelled. At the end, when (if) it connects to my pc, it will convert that data to a map which I can then see on the phone.

jab1
Legend

Thanks for the explanation - I kind of gathered it was some form of location tracking from something else I vaguely remember seeing previously - might eve have been one of your previous threads - but I can't think of an answer to your question.

John
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Can't help with Strava, but if you simply want to track your trips and convert that to a map, then try "Simply Walking" which tracks progress and allows you to see the track on Google maps on the phone. Another is "A-GPS Tracker" which does the same thing, but also tracks elevation change. Both are free. Both work well on my oldish Android phone.