cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File storage and backup.

seanbranagh
Grafter

File storage and backup.

My cousin runs a construction company. I look after all the computer stuff in his offices from websites to email.
He has asked me to provide him with central storage for the six computers in his office. This of course is simple by using a nas drive or even a £20 pentium 3 of Ebay with a couple of HDD's and mapped network drives on all the machines.
However he wants the files automatically backed up offsite daily. As it is only office documents I do have several gig of storage that can be used on the same webserver that I use for his site and others.
Does a snap server do this?
3 REPLIES 3
samuria
Grafter

Re: File storage and backup.

if you backup to the internet what about the data protection act does it apply to your data if it does it wont be secure.
if there isnt a lot of data that changes I run a ftp script and back it up to the mds home  pc or any offsite pc. You need to sort the data into what is needed to run the company if the firm burnt down and make this priority so its in 2 locations the rest backup weekly?
mcgurka
Grafter

You could look at a linux solution and use a nifty program called rsync to do your offsite backups. Bonus is its all free.
The inital rsync backup might take a while, but after that it will only backup the changed files, rather than them all!
kplahnet
Dabbler

Hi There seanbranagh
take alook at www.availl.com re WAFS
This is a system that alows muti site to have there files stored local to each site
but keeps all sites in sync and has built in versioning software.
So even if a doc is deleted it can be retrived form the arcive and restored to the system
All this takes place in real time and is full automated.
I use this system for my clients to keep there system updated.
Thay have offices all round the world.
Hope you find this of some help