cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File sharing?

suesykes
Grafter

File sharing?

I used to use a program called edonkey a few years ago, is there anything similar available now.
Preferably something that doesnt send aliens to invade my system.
I dont wanna pay for it either... I helped enough people to get fat n rich over the years, time for a break.
12 REPLIES 12
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: File sharing?

Quite a few - all free.
Bit torrent has more or less completely taken over from traditional P2P networks.
I use Azureus (which is java based).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Walter
Rising Star

Ditto above plus uTorrent, Limewire.
You can get torrent  links from http://www.mininova.org/ and look carefully for comments and you will note there are a lot of 'Trojans' reported by punters.  Do be careful.
VileReynard
Hero

On occasion, I've downloaded bit torrents alleged to contain "trojans" - on the basis that I'm not running Windows. They have mostly seemed OK.
What is a trojan in this sense?

samuria
Grafter

Edonkey has closed but Emule is alive and kicking and more or less the same free from
http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1
Walter
Rising Star

Well, the Trojan is like the Mythical Trojan Horse at the battle of Troy.  The baddies sneak in under cover and  come out at night and cause havoc.
VileReynard
Hero

Well, suppose I download a non-executable object - and I certainly wouldn't give downloads execution rights unless I was 100% sure of the source.
So since (e.g. a mp3) has no execution rights it couldn't do any damage. It would just be played by a player which itself only has user rights. Since it is impossible for the object to do anything at admin level, it is impossible for it to do any trojan style activities.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Linux, fine Wink
On Windows though, the default action to 'read'  or 'play' an mp3 is double click it.  That also happens to be the same action as 'execute'.  So... bang!  There go your passwords!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Kelly
Linux, fine Wink
On Windows though, the default action to 'read'  or 'play' an mp3 is double click it.  That also happens to be the same action as 'execute'.  So... bang!  There go your passwords!

Are you thinking of files like name.mp3.exe (which have always foxed Windows) or have they "upgraded" mp3's so that the file is executed so as to call a program?
Sounds like a mouse is a security hole!

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

by default the extensions of known filetypes are hidden by windows.  It could be "really-awesome-track_roxxors.exe" and a dumb user might not know any different.
On linux, you'd have to chmod it to be able to execute it!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
zubel
Community Veteran

Of course, certain audio files (read .WMV) can actually contain scripts which can be executed within the context of Windows Media Player and can do nasty things.
Also, a carefully crafted malicious .mp3 file could theoretically exploit a programming error in specific mp3 decoders to gain elevated privileges and execute malicious code, although this would rely heavily on the media player used.
B.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Barry
Also, a carefully crafted malicious .mp3 file could theoretically exploit a programming error in specific mp3 decoders to gain elevated privileges and execute malicious code, although this would rely heavily on the media player used.

a) I never understood why Windows just looked at the extension to decide whether to execute a file.
b) It always used to irritate me why people would not let me change the "hide the extension" default on their Windows. Doing this enhances the human spam/virus detection side of things immeasurably.
Things like buffer overflows and malicious code and the like are a possibility on all systems - although most potential instances appear to have been recognised and blocked.

suesykes
Grafter

I reckon if the Americans get their way we will all have one big trojan.... WINDOWS.
Watch the sly little buggas, they wanna rule the world.