cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File sharing from XP to Win 7; is my Technicolor TG582n blocking ports?

bencfelliott

File sharing from XP to Win 7; is my Technicolor TG582n blocking ports?

Hi all, having an unreasonable amount of difficulty getting my Windows 7 machine to see a shared folder on the XP one.
I've tried quite a lot of self-help guides but with no luck.  I'm starting to wonder if the router is blocking the connection for some reason but don't know how to test that - any ideas?Huh
I can see the XP in the Win 7's Networking view but when I click through I get a long pause and an error.  Windows suggests I make sure it accepts incoming connections for file and printer sharing.  All firewalls turned off.  I can't ping it (but the name does resolve).
I've been through all the menus and settings to enable sharing on the XP machine - workgroup is set correctly and matching, file and printer sharing enabled, the service is running, I have some folders shared with no security on them.  XP is wired with the supplied cable, Win 7 is via wireless.
Any help much appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: File sharing from XP to Win 7; is my Technicolor TG582n blocking ports?

Sharing can be difficult if there is no Windows login password set.  If so, just go to Control Panel, User Accounts and set a password. 
robski1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Hi there, I had a similar problem but managed to get it working following the instructions on this site:- http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/
Good luck, robski1
bencfelliott

Hi both, thanks for the replies.  Actually, the link is for sharing the other way, but they do have instructions for what I wanted on the site as well.
I'm sorry to report that today it's working.  I swear I've changed nothing - perhaps everything just needed some time (or *yet another* reboot) to settle down?!?!  I didn't need any passwords either (by the looks of things I would need a password to export a share from 7 to XP though).
Thanks again