cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File recovery...

Mav
Fixes: 514

File recovery...

When SWMBO was last in Ukraine she managed to erase all her pictures from an xD card rather than transfer them to the laptop. I told her not to take any more pictures although she had taken one to test the camera.
Yesterday we set about trying to recover as many photos from the card (512MB used with a old 3MP camera) as possible. I tried Recuva along with a couple of others that failed to find much significant. Another 'free' program found around 200 but needed a payment of $39.95 in order to be able to recover them.
I then stumbled across Free Download Data Recovery Wizard which allows 1GB of recovery before payment is required.
It found almost 300 photos of which a few were slightly corrupt and around a lot more dating back from a few years ago but practically all my wife's photos from her last trip were recovered with  with many MB of recovery left.
It's an easy to use program where you can view the files and select  each file individually or whole folders at a time to recover.
Just thought I'd pass this on to anyone who may need it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES 6
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: File recovery...

sounds like it could be useful, especially if Recuva can`t get them back...  Wink
tks
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

This program offers free recovery of digital camera images http://www.z-a-recovery.com/ .  I have used it (paid-for) on hard drives and it can be quite effective. 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I did my degree in Digital Forensics and Security which involved a lot of file recovery. I find it amazing that you can get free software on the Internet to do these kind of things and if you had of gone into somewhere like PC World, it'd cost you an absolute fortune. Professional programs that are used industrially such as EnCase are around £3,200 per year. Worth it? Probably not.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Lol @ChrisP If you have a Finance Director who's just trashed his disk containing important documents there's no fee too high to recover the data, but it is probably not the best time to ask him if he'd kept his files backed up on a secure server 😉
I once purchased OnTrack's Email Recovery Tool to rescue my wife's damaged Outlook .pst files. Pricey, but high scoring in brownie points.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hmm I suppose you pay the price to get your data back once you've lost/deleted/or become corrupted. People would pay a lot of money for that kind of stuff back if it means that much to them.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I recently had a hard disk failure on my main computer and although I had an Acronis Image it was six weeks out of date. I mirror my incoming emails to Yahoo so was able to recover all those easily - but my sent items were all lost. The disk was badly corrupted and programs like Recuva couldn't even see it. Then Wikipedia came to the rescue with TestDisk which was marvellous - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testdisk. Again there's a 1GB limit but I was able to retrieve the 162MB Sent Items.dbx file and various other documents I'd written in the interim - and the program was very easy to use.