Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File / Folder Utility Help Please?

God
Grafter

File / Folder Utility Help Please?

Hi Folks
I am looking for a couple of software utilities and thought I would see if you have any recommendations for me. The jobs I want them to do are:
1.) Verify the integrity of files or folders – I regularly back up all my software but I always have that nagging feeling I could be regularly backing up corrupted files! I need some way of periodically checking all these files to see that they are ok.
2.) Compare folders to check they have the same data in both. For example I have a music folder with 17,000+ files in it and I want to check that it is in synch with a back up copy I don’t want to check them manually for obvious reasons!
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: File / Folder Utility Help Please?

For point 2 I would try SyncToy from Microsoft which may do exactly what you want. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

CSDiff is a nifty compare utility that will also compare directories with an option to compare contained sub-directories. It's freeware.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
God
Grafter

Thanks I will check both of those out!
I think the integrity checker might be a problem, all the ones I have seen appear to be command line programs and I really want a more flexible system.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Aren't there any CRC tools for Windows?
You could write a simple batch file to compare the CRC's of the data and copied data.
Would the user interface be a problem?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

God
Grafter

Hmm...  maybe I am ignorant about the nature of file checking and corruption. I had thought that if you start off with a good file and some bytes get changed that would show up in the error checking as a fault but you seem to be saying that removing random parts won’t change the checksums, hashes CRS’s or whatever?
Or is it a case of some programs just don’t check data files fully for integrity when opening?
pcoventry76
Grafter

LOTS of free programs here, there is a list of other stuff not sure if anything you want can be found there
http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/defragmentation.shtml
Pete
7th_star
Grafter

How's about using Winrar to protect your files and use quickpar to make parity files when you create the archive/backup.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just noticed something about SyncToy.
If a file is replaced it isn't just deleted the old file is moved to the recycle bin and the new one added.
I am using the "contribute" option which only adds and changes files but doesn't mirror a file delete (extremely useful if a file is deleted in error).