cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Copying failing To Complete - Any Ideas, Please?

Mav
Fixes: 515

File Copying failing To Complete - Any Ideas, Please?

Title says it all, really.
Suddenly file copying/moving on many, but not all, files fails to complete. The blue bars are fully filling the line but just never actually finishes.
I click cancel, then when I attempt to try again I get a message informing me the file is being used by another program.
The only program I have added recently was the trial version of Diskeeper 2008. I have unisnstalled and rebooted yet the problem persists.
I have AVG Free virus protect, SpyBot S & D And AdAware and all up-to-date.
Does anyone have any pointers?
Cheers.
Edit: I'm wondering if it's anything to do with Nero Scout that installed with Nero 7?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: File Copying failing To Complete - Any Ideas, Please?

it could be
Nero Scout is a Database application which catalogs every media file on your computer. Various Nero applications access this database. Nero Scout provides the created database for other media players as well. Several competitive products (e.g. other media players) merely create restricted databases which only index the file types which are linked with the application itself and not the media files which are linked with different applications. Nero Scout creates an icon in Windows Explorer whereby it always provides an insight into the complete media library.
Mav

There doesn't seem to be any easy way of unisnstalling Nero Scout.
I uset all the indexing options and rebooted but the problem persisted.
Then I found another couple of fora from a Google search both of which had the following suggestion to type into Start - Run
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"

I did this and, after a reboot, so far the problem hasn't returned.
Fingers crossed... Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

samuria
Grafter

First thing I would check is the drive as a failing drive gives these problems. From a cmd window run chkdsk c: /f
it will say it cant do it and ask if it should check on next boot say yes
Mav

I have 7 drives (int & ext) and it was happening on all of them - doubt if all 7 are failing Wink
Anyway, now the next morninmg and still no copy issues since removing Nero Scout Smiley
Cheers & thanks

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

For the record, you can avoid installing Nero Scout - simply opt for a custom install when running the installer for the first time and deselect the nero scout option. Alternatively I think you can customise the installation from the add/remove programs menu (select to remove it, and it should offer you the option to change the install rather than remove it). If it doesn't offer you the option then you could uninstall/reinstall nero (if the registry entry stops working).
Mav

IIRC when I installed Nero 7.11.10.0 I wasn't offered the option to not install Nero Scout during custom installation - but, maybe I just missed it?
Using the Add/Remove programs menu didn't offer any kind of uninstall for Scout, either.
The above CMD window command has worked and probem has been solved.
Edit: It appears that two of the files that failed to complete their move yetsreday are still giving issues as above.
Not sure why these two - nothing obvious.
Edit 2:
What I've noticed is that if I Copy the files then there are no problems and I can then delete the originals after each copy. But if I Move the files then some files just seem to 'hang' the copy. Clicking Cancel stops the process but the I cannot Move, Copy or Delete the file as I get a message that it is being used by another person or program.