Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Compression software - rar or zip

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

File Compression software - rar or zip

I have always used Winzip but I see, on another forum, that most posters are using rar.
This site is biased but seems to show that rar is better http://www.buyrar.com/Compare.asp
Any advice would be welcome - I am using Vista 64 bit
6 REPLIES 6
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: File Compression software - rar or zip

Many years ago when I upgraded from the Atari world to the PC I used to use Winzip (it was all I knew!).
Winzip is ok for zip files - but sometimes it doesn't open them properly and it doesn't open other archives like .rar archives etc.
For the past 5 or 6 years I've been using Winrar. It will open practically anything, zip, rar, tar, gbz, etc.
Its got a lot over winzip. Winzip was like the big brand with the glossy PR campaign designed to draw in the users but there wasn't as much effort on product development etc.
Winrar concentrated on the product but didn't have a advertising campaign nearly anything like Winzip.
I'll always recommend Winrar but it can be a bit more complex to use for a first timer - Its just a slightly more advanced version of Winzip with other features.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
samuria
Grafter

It comes down to what you want. I have used winzip since its conception which was a gui for pkzip the best compressor at the time for DOS was ARJ but that seems to have got lost over time.
I now use winrar as it opens ISO files as well and handles 99% of archives. The only thing is winzip has addon which makes it good like a CMDline so you can script files
gswindale
Grafter

I tend to use 7zip mainly these days, which allows you to open .rar, .iso and .zip files amongst others.
The interface isn't as good as Winzip though, but neither was WinRar last time I used it.
Best of all though, it is actually FREE software unlike the others mentioned.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I also started with pkzip (the good old days when everything was command line driven) and now use 7-Zip for reading compressed files but it won't create rar files.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Winrar will create rar files.
Winrar isn't free but version 3.20 only has a nag screen - it doesn't actually disable anything.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Rikaitch
Grafter

I have to say Winrar is a lot easier then Winzip for simple decompressing. Just select file, right click, and I normally just decompress to a new folder. It also opens ISO files which can be really useful.
For compression I'd recommend 7zip every time. Yes, it's not exactly widespread, and the recipient of the .7z file then needs to download it as well, but the compression is mind blowing. I've seen compression ratios as much as 5:1 on stuff like JPGs and even ZIPs!