cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre hardware details?

fnxweb
Dabbler

Fibre hardware details?

I'm considering FTTC now that it seems to be available where I live.  Has anyone got any more techy details about the hardware that PN supplies?
In particular, it's the connectivity I'm interested in.  I have a mostly wired LAN, but do use wifi.  However, my BT master socket is in the hall, and this juts out of and around the house a tad. When I tried my current router there the wifi didn't like going through the thick walls.  I currently have to use a wireless gateway that I had from before my router was also wireless.
IOW, the modem part of the fibre hardware could go in the hall OK, but I'd probably need the wireless box (IIUC, it's a modem + a wireless box) to be a few metres away where my current wireless gateway is.
I don't know when the connectivity is between the fibre modem and the box, so don't know how long the cable could be.
I currently have CAT5 from the router to the wifi under the carpet:  would that be convertible?
I'm presuming that the wifi box has an Ethernet socket out of the back, too.
2 REPLIES 2
Vip3r
Grafter

Re: Fibre hardware details?

Hi,
The FTTC Modem (provided by BT on day of install) has to be connected to the BT master socket, either directly (preferred) or by a data extension cable that BT will install up to 30m long.
Then you have a Wifi-Router (Netgear WNR1000 – Supplied by Plusnet by post before install date) that connects to the modem by Cat5 , the modem has 1 RJ45 out (well it has 2 but the second one is not in use) the router has 1 RJ45 in (from modem) and then 4 additional lan ports for you to connect your PC etc..
So your existing setup should be fine, replace your existing modem/router with the new modem, replace the gateway with the new router. Sorted  Smiley
fnxweb
Dabbler

Re: Fibre hardware details?

Excellent!  Thanks!
Although, just to make doubly sure:
BT will arrange the connection of the modem to my master socket in the hall.
I can then use my existing CAT5 to connect the modem to the new wifi router which I can put in the cupboard where my current Ethernet switch is (and it's this under-carpet CAT5 which is the one I was worried about).
Then I can connect my existing Ethernet switch  to the new wifi jobby into one of it's LAN ports.
That sound about right?
Is the connection between modem and new wifi router def. Ethernet, then) as that's what my long cable is wired for)?