Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Router

OshB5
Grafter

Fibre Router

Hi All
I just want a bit of information please. This being about the Fibre BB and the supplied Router.
From what I understand its a little difficult to bind the various PCs, laptops, tablets, Iphones, Tv and media streamers. As I like them all to have the same IP all the time simply because I use UView to operate PCs and other units in my radio shack without actually going down the garden.(its nice in the winter lol) and its easier when you know which IP is with which unit?
What I would like to know is if anyone else has used any different routers and if so which ones and how easy have they been to set up?
Many thanks Osh
8 REPLIES 8
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Fibre Router

Most (all?) routers allow you to set up a permanent ip address <--> ethernet card address allocation via DHCP.
Same applies to wireless.
I'm currently using a Netgear router.
If you setup a name <-> ip address in your hosts file and copy it to all PC's then you can address all PC's by name.
Bit of a pain if you add a new PC though.  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Most (all?) routers allow you to set up a permanent ip address <--> ethernet card address allocation via DHCP.
Same applies to wireless.
I'm currently using a Netgear router.
If you setup a name <-> ip address in your hosts file and copy it to all PC's then you can address all PC's by name.
Bit of a pain if you add a new PC though.  Smiley

At the moment Im on normal DSL using a Thomson SG870W which is quite a few years old and works fine and every bit of equipment is named and locked to its IP so there is no changing Plus I have certain game preferences and port forwarding set up. Then there is the IP telephone.
Plus Iv read quite a few threads and other ISPs threads about the modem you can get for the£4.99and it dont look good.I especially rely on a good wifi signal and at good distances which it looks the supplied one does not like or even do?
Hence looking for something to rep;lace it with before spending the £5 at the start?
Osh
VileReynard
Hero

I'm on fibre and they gave me a Netgear 150 wireless router for £5.  Smiley
I'm not a fan of the Thomson routers which I believe are currently issued.

OshB5
Grafter

What about this one will this work?
ASUS DSL-N55U N600 Dual-Band Wireless ADSL Modem Router - 600Mbps   for £89.99
It looks OK and might do the job if it will work..
Regards..
dick:quote
VileReynard
Hero

It's ADSL - dual band refers to the wireless capabilities.
So it won't work.
You need a router with a WAN port for fibre.

OshB5
Grafter

OK will have a look round what I have But Id like it to have USB port a VOIP phone port and be able to rename devices and assign IPs to said devices easyly And also port forwarding?
Was it right tha you have to have their router even if you get your own?
regards
dick:quote
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Yes there is no option to opt out of the router in a fibre install like there is on an adsl install.
I have used a Netgear N300 router on fibre with good results, currently trialling the Techocolor TG589vn v3, which is a LOT better than the 582 router.
If you want voip then the best option is use what you use at the moment and hack it to use the fibre router as a gateway/dhcp server. I have done that with a HH2 that I use for my PN voip. Otherwise you would need a standalone voip interface.
OshB5
Grafter

Oh OK so I have still got to have the router that has been slagged off for the last couple of years? Is there no alternative at all? Or would it be worth asking?
Regards

adie:quote