cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedora Core 8 Remote Admin

mcgurka
Grafter

Fedora Core 8 Remote Admin

Hey guys, not sure if anyone will be able to help me with this...
I have a number of FC8 (werewolf) servers which are currently headed (with keyboard / mon / mouse ) I want to remove these and operate the systems headlessly with a central admin console...
Im looking for suggestions of software which can do this.. I had thought VNC, but it only operates correctly if you are logged into the system locally, then you can get an x session to start...
I had also thought of XDMCP (?) but scrubbed it, since it will technically be running on a WAN....
Any thoughts?
Scott
2 REPLIES 2
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Fedora Core 8 Remote Admin

Just configure vncserver to start 1 or 2 graphical VNC sessions when the system starts. You can then use tightVNC to connect to them.
That's what I use to remotely manage my Linux boxes.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Fedora Core 8 Remote Admin

I would recommend `NX` which will give you the same experience as being logged in locally.
Personally I use NX free edition from http://www.nomachine.com/ which gives to two users* and two concurrent sessions for free.
* The two users are the first two to connect, but if you find the user database you can delete one of the users and login again with a different user.
It’s available as rpm, deb, tgz and Solaris formats. And clients for Windows and Mac.
On the server you need “Client”, “Node” and “Server” packages and from memory I believe that is the order you have to install them in to satisfy the dependencies. It run on my FC6 test machine without any issues.
OT
If you are looking for a RedHat distribution without the price tag, take a look at www.centos.org which is a free version of RHEL. It does not suffer the 6 month upgrade / short support cycle that FC does.