cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedora 10

chillypenguin
Grafter

Fedora 10

Fedora 10 is scheduled for release on the 25 of November.
http://fedoraproject.org/
After my sabbatical with Ubuntu, if feel that it is time to head back to RedHat.
And as I am no longer using my Linux machine to run servers on vwmare, I can risk stability and go cutting edge!!

Chilly Distribution history;

• Mandrake

• RedHat

• Solaris

• SMEServer

• CentOS (With SMEServer in VM)

• Ubuntu

• Fedora?

Of course not forgetting Xandros on my eeePC and the various `Live linux's`.
6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Fedora 10

just thinking Chilly  still not plucked up courage to hack my EeePC
looking at your sig   Who watches the watchmen  (Quis custodiet ipsos custodes) perhaps its me and my Avatar
Heloman
Grafter

Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur
Literally "The man is wise who talks little".
Colloquially "Know when to hold your tongue"!
chillypenguin
Grafter

Well that did not last long!!!
I have always found Fedora a bit `work in progress`. I am now back on CentOS but with rpmforge repo enabled.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: chillypenguin
I have always found Fedora a bit `work in progress`.

What specifically didn't you like about it? I've just reformatted my PC and was considering putting Fedora 10 on the non-Windows partition instead of Ubuntu. I got wind though that it wouldn't get on with my Nvidia GFX drivers.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

chillypenguin
Grafter

To be honest the few days that I was running it, I did not really give it a chance.
I ended up in dependency hell trying to install the drivers for my printer (Serves me right for buying a Canon, and expecting it to run on Linux!!!).
But then CentOS has the same issue with the Canon driver (cured with TurboPrint).
The visual effects were a great gimmick at first, such as the cube workspace switcher, but soon become annoying. And the places for every thing in the menus had been moved around, causing a hunt for everything.
I am very much a Luddite, in that I prefer old stable and working, so I returned to my old and trusted CentOS (RedHat Enterprise Linux).
Why not give CentOS (5.2) a try, its basically RedHet EL without the price tag, so you get an enterprise and very well respected distribution. One snag it does have is that the standard repository's only contain a small selection of software. But you can always enable the rpmforge repo.
hootiegibbon
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: chillypenguin
I have always found Fedora a bit `work in progress`.

What specifically didn't you like about it? I've just reformatted my PC and was considering putting Fedora 10 on the non-Windows partition instead of Ubuntu. I got wind though that it wouldn't get on with my Nvidia GFX drivers.

I have to agree that Fedora is not the most complete product out thare after install on a system that has an Nvidia card, this is mainly to do with its 'noble' intention og being a truly 'free' distro and any propriety drivers would taint that.
So you have to add specific 'non-free' repositories to the package manager  (I also do not presently like packagekit - it seems cumbersome), one the non free repos are added you can then install the appropriate graphical server and reboot to activate.
It would take quite some work for me to get a fedora install to look/feel right for me.
Should you need the non free repo, have a search ogn the fedora forum for a thread called somthing like 'nvidia F10 guide' or similar
Jase