cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedora 10

seanbranagh
Grafter

Fedora 10

Thinking of upgrading my home webserver to Fedora 10 this evening. No particular reason for this but want to swap a hard disk from my Windows server anyway.
Should I expect any big differences setting this up agian from the setting up of the existing existing Fedora 7?
EDIT: My website will be hosted on my Windows server while I am doing this.
22 REPLIES 22
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Fedora 10

If you are just going to use it as a webserver I would recommend www.smeserver.org, or if you want to do things the hard way (more fun) then either Centos or Ubuntu server versions.
Fedora is a bit too cutting edge for my liking.
seanbranagh
Grafter

SME Server looks interesting. I am downloading it. May have to try an install on my guinea pig (laptop) for a couple of days and see how it goes before switching. Not why I currently use Fedora. I think it was just the first Linux distro I came accross. Core 4 was just out at the time.
artificer
Grafter

another you might like to try is pclinuxos business edition at http://pclosbe.org/.
chillypenguin
Grafter

I have become a bit out of touch with smeserver, so it may be worth checking the php and mysql versions are up-to-date.
But when I was running a webserver at home, it was great. Its all set up out of the box. With a simple web interface, to start setting things up. The down side is that if you want to change any thing that the web interface does not allow, then it makes things more difficult as the web interface can undo your changes.
seanbranagh
Grafter

After about 30 minutes I have decided that there is absolutely nothing I like about this. It is way to simplified. Back to Fedora and Webmin. I liked that.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I am going with Fedora 8. I tried 10 and there is a nasty bug that keeps changing the subnet mask to the default gateway address. I did find a way round this but don't want the bother.
Waldo
Grafter

I think Fedora 9 would  be a better option; Fedora 8 was end-of-life last month (no more bug fixes / security updates).
chillypenguin
Grafter

The very quick end-of life is one reasons why I would not recommend Fedora for a server application (cutting edge bugs being the other).
artificer
Grafter

isn't centos usually the server distro of choice?
Waldo
Grafter

As web servers go, CentOS may be the server of choice for PCLinuxOSUbuntu, Mandriva, and openSUSE, to name but a few, make different choices.
For a home web server, any one of them would be more than capable of doing the job.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have just installed Debian 5 on the machine and am going to go about configuring it this evening. Basically as long as I can get Webmin up and running (which I have) the OS is not that important to me. I am just tinkering this weekend because I had little else to do. My Windows (XP Pro & Apache 2) server is currently hosting the site and even that is capable of the job. I find I have little patience so if I come accross a problem I cannot get around easily I usually just grab another distro and try it instead.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
isn't centos usually the server distro of choice?

CentOS is just a free clone of Red HAT Enterprise Linux.
Quote from: Sean
I find I have little patience so if I come across a problem I cannot get around easily I usually just grab another distro and try it instead.

Snap
seanbranagh
Grafter

The problem I find with Linux is that it requires lots of patience. Why you may ask do I not just use Windows for my webserver then? The reason is because I know when I get it up and running (Linux) again it will just keep going and going which is more than be said for my Windows server and all of its continous reliability problems.
I always thought Fedora was more like RHEL. I have the RHEL & Fedora Bible which really is a lot of reading!
seanbranagh
Grafter

It now looks like I will be sticking with Debian 5 for this server. The setup so far has been very smooth. As well as being a web server the other main role of this server is for my brother, my sister and me to share media files (mainly videos of the kids that are too large for email) as we all live in different parts of the island.
I have been setting up the different user accounts with both password protected web and ftp access. This has all been a breeze. Using Webmin it has been no different from Fedora.
I have only encountered one strange problem. I do not need remote desktop accesss for this server but I would like to have it as I did with Fedora. I did get it set up using tightvncserver, xdm and xfs as detailed here http://www.lizardking.biz/2009/02/debian-5-multi-user-vnc/
Problem is that when I log into a desktop remotely the keyboard layout is strange. For example if I type "qwerty" into a document on the remote desktop it actually types "c.gvn". Any ideas?
I can hapily live without a remote desktop but wouldn't mind the option.